Saturday, 11 April 2015

The Truth About Us by Janet Gurtler

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire, and NetGalley.
The Truth About Us
A powerful and gripping contemporary YA from the author of I'm Not Her that's "Just right for fans of Sarah Dessen and Jodi Picoult."-Booklist

The truth is that Jess knows she screwed up.
She's made mistakes, betrayed her best friend, and now she's paying for it. Her dad is making her spend the whole summer volunteering at the local soup kitchen.

The truth is she wishes she was the care-free party-girl everyone thinks she is.
She pretends it's all fine. That her "perfect" family is fine. But it's not. And no one notices the lie...until she meets Flynn. He's the only one who really sees her. The only one who listens.

The truth is that Jess is falling apart – and no one seems to care.
But Flynn is the definition of "the wrong side of the tracks." When Jess's parents look at him they only see the differences-not how much they need each other. They don't get that the person who shouldn't fit in your world... might just be the one to make you feel like you belong.


The Truth About Us by Janet Gurtler

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Truth About Us(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire, and NetGalley.)

“Not only were you drinking and sunbathing topless. Mastercard called me,” he says in a quiet voice. “You charged over ten thousand dollars to our account? For a dress?”



This was a sweet story about a girl and boy from different sides of the tracks, who fall in love, whether other people approve or not.

I thought that Jess was running a little wild at the start of this story. Getting drunk, topless sunbathing, and buying a $10,000 dress on ebay were all things that got her in trouble with her parents, and they were all her own fault.

“I glance down at the auction button. The Buy It Now says it’s $9,999. It’s regularly $15,000. It’s actually a total bargain.”



The storyline in this was about Jess being punished for acting so crazy, and being forced to volunteer at a missionary shelter by her father who wanted her to be more responsible. There was also a bit of a mystery over why Jess’ mother was at home sleeping all the time, and the romance between Jess and Flynn, a boy who wasn’t well-off and actually used the shelter that Jess ended up volunteering at.

Dad clears his throat, and I keep my head down since he’s acting like I’m not there anyways. “Every day you need her, she’s available.”



The romance in this totally reminded me of the song ‘uptown girl’ – a poor boy who loves a rich girl . Jess and Flynn were quite cute together though, even if her father didn’t approve.

“I slide my hand behind his neck and pull his face toward me and we kiss. I mean, I really, really kiss him. And it’s amazing because he kisses back hard, and it’s the best thing I’ve ever felt in my whole entire life.”



The ending to this was quite predictable for me, but it was a happy ending so I can’t really complain.
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment