Thursday, 9 April 2015

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him. Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.)

“I actually need your help. You see, your friends are hot. And you darling, are the Duff.”



I didn’t like this book at the start, and I only like it a very little bit at the end.

Bianca was just a nightmare of a character. She made no sense, she made stupid decisions, and she blamed other people for her own mistakes. I mean really. What self-respecting girl kisses a boy that she claims to hate?! Just tell the truth already!

“I kissed Wesley Rush.
One second his hand lay on my shoulder, and his gray eyes rested, for once, on my face, and the next my mouth was on his.”




The storyline in this was unfortunately pretty predictable, but I will say that it made me laugh in places, which kind-of saved this story for me.

The romance in this was infuriating! Bianca kisses Wesley when she claimed to hate him, then slapped him when he kissed her back! WTF? Then, after asserting once again that she hated him, she ended up in bed with him. Again, WTF?

“And I slapped him. I slapped him so hard, my palm stung with the contact.”



The rest of the story carried on in much the same fashion. Bianca irritated me, Wesley was an ass. And of course they then get a happily ever after! I did like that this pair started to admit their true feelings at the end of the book, but this is one weird relationship.
6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. The Duff is one of those books where I started reading it and said "Oh, this seems pointless." but I kept reading because I wanted something light and something I didn't have to think too much about. I got EXACTLY that with this book.

    ReplyDelete