Thursday, 16 April 2015

Silence by Deborah Lytton

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Love is blind, but it's also deaf. Stella was born to sing. Someday Broadway. Even though she's only a sophomore at a new high school, her voice has given her the status as a "cool kid." But everything changes when a tragic accident renders her deaf. She can't hear herself sing not to mention speak. She can't hear anything. Silence. What happens when everything you've dreamed of and hoped for is shattered in a single moment? Enter Hayden, the boy with blond curls who stutters. He's treated like an outcast because he's not "normal." And, yet, Stella feels an attraction to him that she can't explain. As Hayden reaches out to help Stella discover a world without sound, his own tragic past warns him to keep a distance. But their connection is undeniable. Can the boy who stutters and the girl who's deaf ever find a happily-ever-after? Silence is a story of friendship and hope with a lesson that sometimes it takes a tragedy to help us find and appreciate beauty and love in unexpected places.

Silence by Deborah Lytton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Silence(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Shadow Mountain Publishing and NetGalley.)

“The injury to your head caused sensorineural hearing loss. That’s why you can’t hear anything.”



This was a story about how one girl coped with losing her hearing, and the boy who helped her.

“My name is there. Not in the supporting cast list. But as the lead. As Maria. The lead in the school musical. Me.”

free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

I felt quite sorry for Stella in this story. To lose your hearing must be awful, and especially awful if you are dependent on your hearing like a singer would be.

“When I do open my eyes, this is what I see. My mother is devastated, even though she tries to hide it from me. Her face is weepy every second.”



The storyline followed Stella as she lost her hearing in a freak accident, and then how she coped afterwards. I found the prose to be quite poetic, and it was lovely to see how Hayden helped her and kept her positive about the chances of recovering her hearing.

“Someday Broadway. There is not someday Broadway now. Without singing, I am invisible. A nobody. The girl with the voice is dead. Nothing can fix that.”



There was a touch of romance, but I wasn’t really a fan unfortunately.

“And that’s when it pours out of me. All of it. I tell Hayden everything. What’s wrong with me, and how I don’t even know if I will ever hear again.”



The ending to this was fairly happy, and I was glad with the way things worked out.
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment