Friday, 17 April 2015

None of the Above

Sponsored post:  I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
None of the Above

Blurb (from Goodreads):
A groundbreaking story about a teenage girl who discovers she was born intersex . . . and what happens when her secret is revealed to the entire school. Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, None of the Above is a thought-provoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between.

What if everything you knew about yourself changed in an instant?

When Kristin Lattimer is voted homecoming queen, it seems like another piece of her ideal life has fallen into place. She's a champion hurdler with a full scholarship to college and she's madly in love with her boyfriend. In fact, she's decided that she's ready to take things to the next level with him.

But Kristin's first time isn't the perfect moment she's planned--something is very wrong. A visit to the doctor reveals the truth: Kristin is intersex, which means that though she outwardly looks like a girl, she has male chromosomes, not to mention boy "parts."

Dealing with her body is difficult enough, but when her diagnosis is leaked to the whole school, Kristin's entire identity is thrown into question. As her world unravels, can she come to terms with her new self?


None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


None of the Above(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“Could I please schedule surgery as soon as possible to remove my testicles?”



This was an emotional story about a girl dealing with bullying, and trying to come to terms with an intersex diagnosis.

“Did anyone ever mention anything to you about something called androgen insensitivity syndrome or AIS?”



I really liked Kristin, she was such a sweet girl, and I really felt for her as her life just seemed to get worse and worse. The way people started to treat her was just awful, and the way her friends and boyfriend turned on her was just so sad.

“Vinnie McNab, the guy who had the locker next to mine, was going to be pissed because they’d gotten some of the spray paint on his door, too.

STAY AWAY TRANNY FAGGOT”




The storyline in this was really good, and I thought the author did well to portray the fear and confusion that Kristin felt, other people’s reactions and their bullying of Kristin, as well as Kristin’s slow progression back to a place where she felt a little happier with herself.

"At least two of the other teams in our division have already filed complaints with the athletic board, accusing me of cheating and demanding an investigation,” she told me. “I know that probably nothing will come out of it, but I’m sorry to say that we can’t allow you to run until we get things straightened out.”



There was romance in this one, and I didn’t really like Sam all that much. He seemed to just be with Kristin because she was pretty and popular, and seemed like he was pretty desperate to have sex! I much preferred the slower hint of a romance that we got later in the book.

“Get away from me,” he said without even looking up.
“Sam,” I whispered, even though it hurt so hard to say his name that I wanted to scream. “Can we please talk?”
“I’ve got nothing to say to you, you homo.”




The ending to this was pretty good, and while Kristin was likely to have more hurdles in her future, I liked where the book ended. Kristin seemed to be really making steps in the right direction, and I was happy that she was going to cope with her diagnosis, and really get her life back on track.
7.5 out of 10


“Love isn’t a choice. You fall for the person, not their chromosomes.”




1 comment:

  1. Tough topic here. Glad to see you enjoyed it, though. =)

    ReplyDelete