Friday, 10 April 2015

Mind Games by Teri Terry

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.

Blurb (From Goodreads):
Luna is a no-hoper with a secret: in a world of illusion, she can see what is real. But can she see the truth before it is too late? Luna has always been able to exist in virtual and real worlds at the same time, a secret she is warned to keep. She hides her ability by being a Refuser: excluded by choice from the virtual spheres others inhabit. But when she is singled out for testing, she can’t hide any longer. The safest thing to do would be to fail, to go back to a dead-end life, no future. But Luna is starting to hope for something better, and hope is a dangerous thing...

Mind Games by Teri Terry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Mind Games(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.)

“Don’t let them notice you’re different.”



This was an interesting sci-fi/dystopian story, and I loved the twists.

I felt quite sorry for Luna at the start of this story. The way everyone treated her like a second-class citizen because she didn’t want to ‘plug-in’ to the virtual world was pretty bad. Especially considering that she hadn’t spoken to her father in weeks because he chose to be plugged-in all the time, and never came back to his body to see her.

“What were you thinking?” she says. “I’ve a good mind to get your father in here, and –”
I look up. I know an empty threat when I hear one. “Please do. I haven’t seen him in weeks.”




The storyline in this followed Luna as her plans to get expelled backfired, and she found herself being given the sort of assignment that she really didn’t want. There were so many twists in this story though! The pace itself was very slow in places, but thankfully the twists made up for it, especially the ones at the end. I also liked how the author managed to work her previous book ‘Slated’ into the storyline of this one!

“What is this fictional world, ‘Slated’? I’ve never heard of it,” I say out loud.



There wasn’t really any romance in this one, other than Luna stating categorically that she was not going to have a relationship with her best friend’s boyfriend, just because they were in the same place together.


The ending to this had lots of twists, and it was these that definitely bumped up the rating on this one for me. The slowness of this story made it a three, but the twists made it a 4.

“When I finally turn and meet their eyes I smile for the first time in a long while. I may seek the truth, but I still have my secrets.”




7.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment