Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Lies I Told by Michelle Zink

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Lies I Told
Blurb (from Goodreads):
What if, after spending a lifetime deceiving everyone around you, you discovered the biggest lies were the ones you've told yourself?

Grace Fontaine has everything: beauty, money, confidence, and the perfect family.

But it’s all a lie.

Grace has been adopted into a family of thieves who con affluent people out of money, jewelry, art, and anything else of value. Grace has never had any difficulty pulling off a job, but when things start to go wrong on the Fontaines' biggest heist yet, Grace finds herself breaking more and more of the rules designed to keep her from getting caught...including the most important one of all: never fall for your mark.

Perfect for fans of Ally Carter, Cecily von Ziegesar, and Gail Carriger, this thrilling, high-stakes novel deftly explores the roles of identity and loyalty while offering a window into the world of the rich and fabulous.


Lies I Told by Michelle Zink

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Lies I Told(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

This was an okay story, but it dragged a bit for me.

Grace at times came across as an experienced thief, and at other times was a complete idiot. I mean she’d been doing this for years seemingly, but was stupid enough to not only keep evidence of a previous identity, but to carry it around in her dress pocket on a day-to-day basis? I mean how stupid is she?

The storyline in this was okay, but it did remind me of a couple of other things – ‘The Rules for Disappearing’, ‘Pretty Crooked’, ‘Mission Impossible’, and ‘The Italian Job’. The pace let this down for me though, it was so slow, and it dragged so much. I wanted to know what would happen, but at the same time it felt like a bit of a chore to get through the book.

There was some romance in this, but it didn’t really interest me. I was however interested to find out if Grace had in the past had a romantic relationship with her adoptive brother Parker, as it certainly seemed to come across that way.

The end was okay, and we did get some action, the family’s plan was just a big old mess though, and really didn’t turn out well. They came across as a bunch of complete amateurs, which wasn’t supposed to be the case at all. I also didn’t expect this to be the start of a series, but judging by the multiple unfinished storylines at the end, there needs to be at least 1 more book.
Overall; Okay story, but dragged for me,
6 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. Sad, but not all things turn out well when an author envisions it. Maybe next time. :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree on the thing with Parker. I was very distracted trying to decide if there was a romantic vibe between them ... or not. I mean, they were (sort of) siblings, but not biologically related and had only been living as siblings for four years. I just felt she had a better emotional connection to Parker than to Logan. The thing with Logan felt like extreme insta-love to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like Logan either, the romance in this was just bleh.

      Delete