Tuesday, 28 April 2015

Invincible (Invincible #1) by Amy Reed

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Invincible (Invincible #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Evie is living on borrowed time. She was diagnosed with terminal cancer several months ago and told that by now she’d be dead. Evie is grateful for every extra day she gets, but she knows that soon this disease will kill her. Until, miraculously, she may have a second chance to live.

All Evie had wanted was her life back, but now that she has it, she feels like there’s no place for her in it—at least, not for the girl she is now. Her friends and her parents still see her as Cancer Girl, and her boyfriend’s constant, doting attention is suddenly nothing short of suffocating.

Then Evie meets Marcus. She knows that he’s trouble, but she can’t help falling for him. Being near him makes her feel truly, fully alive. It’s better than a drug. His kiss makes her feel invincible—but she may be at the beginning of the biggest free fall of her life.


Invincible by Amy Reed

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Invincible(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

This wasn’t your average ‘cancer’ story, and I was surprised that it ended with a cliff-hanger!

Evie was a girl who felt really lost. I felt sorry for her in the beginning, and I agreed with her that her boyfriend Will worrying about her getting addicted to morphine when she was dying was a bit silly. I understood how she felt once she realised that she suddenly had a future. For her to try and get back what she had lost felt insurmountable to her, and it was easy to see why when people kept telling her how far behind she was, and how she suddenly needed to think about her future.

The storyline in this wasn’t your average cancer story, and it wasn’t your average addiction story either. Evie’s problems were so much more complex than that, after having no life, to suddenly having to think about her future was just so daunting, and I couldn’t help but feel sorry for her. I think I’d have felt overwhelmed as well.

There was some romance in this book, and I could once again see where Evie was coming from, and how difficult it was for her to come to the realisation that maybe her old boyfriend wasn’t right for her any more.

The ending to this was a little disappointing because we got a cliff-hanger! I wanted to know more about Evie’s story, and I wanted her to find some kind of peace! I can’t believe I have to wait until Summer 2016 to find out what happens! Argh!
6.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment