Friday, 24 April 2015

Finding Paris by Joy Preble

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thank to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
An evocative and compelling story of two sisters who would do anything for each other--perfect for fans of Thirteen Reasons Why and Speak. Joy Preble's stirring new novel explores the lengths to which sisters go to protect each other, and the winding road that brings two strangers into each other's lives. Sisters Leo and Paris Hollings have only ever had each other to rely on. They can't trust their mother, who hops from city to city and from guy to guy, or their gambler stepfather, who's moved them all to Las Vegas. It's just the two of them: Paris, who's always been the dreamer, and Leo, who has a real future in mind--going to Stanford, becoming a doctor, falling in love. But Leo isn't going anywhere right now, except driving around Vegas all night with her sister. Until Paris ditches Leo at the Heartbreak Hotel Diner, where moments before they had been talking with physics student Max Sullivan. Outside, Leo finds a cryptic note from Paris--a clue. Is it some kind of game? Where is Paris, and why has she disappeared? When Leo reluctantly accepts Max's offer of help, the two find themselves following a string of clues through Vegas and beyond. But the search for the truth is not a straight line. And neither is the path to secrets Leo and Max hold inside.

Finding Paris by Joy Preble

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Finding Paris(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thank to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

“Stay calm, Leo. This is the only way. He’s making me. You have to find me. xParis 0 00 1 36



This book. It drove me nuts.

‘My sister slams the brakes, and we both jolt forward, seat belts tightening. “You know I’d do anything for you,” she says. “Well, maybe not work at that yogurt place. Because it’s yogurt, you know?”'



Thanks sis.

The characters in this drove me potty. Paris takes off in her car, leaving her little sister Leo stranded at a diner, with no phone, no money, and no way of getting home. She leaves a ridiculous note claiming that she’s being forced to go somewhere against her will, and asks her sister (who she just abandoned) to find her. Err, how do you expect her to do that? In case you’ve forgotten, you’ve got her wallet, keys, phone, and only mode of transportation. Clever.



“Near the water, Leo. Remember? That’s where we were happy, right? You and me. Sisters.”



So Leo goes on this wild goose chase to find her sister. All worried that her sister has been kidnapped! But don’t worry too much, Leo is no saint herself. She couldn’t care less that she loses a $50 bill out the window of the car, she recklessly throws her mother’s cell phone into the sea on a whim, and of course, finds time to fall in love whilst seeking said missing sister. Ugh.

“Find me. I’ve got your money safe, but I need you, L. xoParis.”



Oh yes, did I mention that said sister also stole all of her little sister’s college fund from her room? All $5,780? I swear, if this girl was my sister I would have killed her by now. Especially when the wild goose chase takes them from Las Vegas, to LA. Thanks for a lovely trip sis.

“Go to LA, Leo. I’m waiting for you. Where we were happy, Leo. You’ll remember. Hurry.”



I mean really? If you’ve not been kidnapped, and are in fact not in any kind of trouble, or needing help in any way, why on earth are you sending your sister all over the place trying to find you? Are you not a bit old for hide-and-go-seek? Do you not take into consideration that she’s scared for you? That your whole family is worried what has happened to you? That your sister has a job she needs to get to and doesn’t want to be up all night looking for you? How freaking selfish are you?

“I need you to do this, Leo. You’ll figure it out once you’re in LA.”



Ugh. The cat has the right idea. I want out too.


And now, I’m afraid I have problems with the ending too - Highlight to view spoiler - You paid a guy to make sure your sister found the note? You paid him to help you with this wild goose chase? A guy that you don’t even know alone in a car with your sister?! NICE! Are you crazy?!


And then the whole point of this ridiculous chase was that Paris wanted everyone to know that Leo had been raped by their step-father? You couldn’t just tell someone? Write a letter? Go to the cops? The only way to tell was to let people think you’d been kidnapped?! Are you freaking kidding me?!


Ugh. I mean really, ugh. So not impressed by this book. Yuck.
4 out of 10




--All quotes are from the unfinished book, so may be subject to change--

No comments:

Post a Comment