Tuesday, 31 March 2015

Solitaire by Alice Oseman

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Solitaire
Blurb (from Goodreads):
In case you’re wondering, this is not a love story.

My name is Tori Spring. I like to sleep and I like to blog. Last year – before all that stuff with Charlie and before I had to face the harsh realities of A-Levels and university applications and the fact that one day I really will have to start talking to people – I had friends. Things were very different, I guess, but that’s all over now.

Now there’s Solitaire. And Michael Holden.

I don’t know what Solitaire are trying to do, and I don’t care about Michael Holden.

I really don’t.

This incredible debut novel by outstanding young author Alice Oseman is perfect for fans of John Green, Rainbow Rowell and all unflinchingly honest writers.



Solitaire by Alice Oseman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Solitaire(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

Well, this book was pretty dull, the ending was less than satisfactory, and I wasted several hours playing solitaire because of this book. Not all that successful of a read for me.

Tori was an odd character, and I grudgingly liked her, but only because I could relate to her a bit. She seemed to be suffering from teen depression in my opinion, which made me able to see where she was coming from. However, she really wasn’t an easy person for other people to be around.

"My hobbies are drinking diet lemonade and being a bitter asshole."

She was sullen, she often totally ignored what people said to her, refused to do things that were in her own best interest just because she was being stubborn, and was generally not a very happy person. The number of things that she told us she hated was pretty big (including reading), and she generally pretty prickly.

“Sometimes I hate people.”
“Year 9’s and 1’0s always seem to be happy. It makes me hate them a bit. Then again, I hate quite a lot of things.”
“I hate the phone. It is the worst invention in the history of the world, because if you don’t talk, nothing happens.”
“I hate the Beatles.”
“I hate questions that need not be asked.”
“I hate books.”
“I hate school”
“I hate Jack.”
“I hate tea.”
“I hate that everyone thinks you need to go to university.”
“I hate the bus.”
“I hate parties.” – “I hate them, and I hate people who go to them.”
“Sometimes I hate the internet.”

I have to say that I was a bit like this at high school as well, and it really doesn’t endear you to anyone. This girl needs treating for depression.

The storyline in this was a little bit lacking for me, and the pace was too slow too. Other than wanting to know what the heck was actually going on, and waiting to see who Tori would p*ss off next, I found this pretty dull, and inevitably kept putting this down to play solitaire instead. Unfortunately I wasted hours and hours playing solitaire instead of reading, which is really quite annoying.

The pranks that this ‘solitaire’ bunch played were pretty poor really, and they must have been pretty darn clever to be able to do it anyway; hacking computers and stuff. All fairly dull though unfortunately.

The ending wasn’t all that great either. I didn’t really feel that everything had been resolved, but I was glad that the book was over.
Overall; fairly dull,
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment