Monday, 23 March 2015

Raine (Elemental #2) by M.M. Roethig

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author M.M. Roethig.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Starting her senior year of high school, Raine Patterson is content with being invisible. That is, until the mysteriously handsome Kaden transfers in and turns her world upside down. Drawn to him in ways she can’t understand, Raine finds herself falling for him, regardless of his harsh stares and mixed signals. When she discovers a hidden ability to control the elements, she finds herself the target of a madman, and Kaden is the only one who can help her. Can she trust him? Kaden Williams has hated Elementals from the time he lost his father to them as a young boy. Chosen to protect Elementals, Kaden turned his back on his duty, swearing to rid the world of them instead. Meeting Raine was no accident, but his feelings for her throw him into turmoil and threaten to change the way he feels about Elementals. When Raine becomes the target of an unknown aggressor, Kaden is forced to decide which path he will follow. As the struggle for knowledge unfolds and the beginning of a pending war looms closer, Raine and Kaden must lean on each other to discover the truth and survive.

Raine by M.M. Roethig

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Raine (Elemental #2)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author M.M. Roethig.)

“What is it that Elzar wants?” “He wants you.”



This was an okay story, but I lost interest after a while.

The characters in this were all okay, but I didn’t really love any of them. Kaden was quite stubborn, and set in his ways, and Raine was fairly normal and made some questionable decisions at times. How on earth she thought that salad was divine I don’t know. Pizza, ice-cream, chocolate – I’ll let you have that, but SALAD? SALAD?

“Their salad is divine if you like salads.”



The storyline in this was about Raine discovering her powers over the elements and learning about her heritage. I found that quite a bit of stuff was repeated from book 1, but because we were told it rather than being shown it, it all felt a bit heavy and dragged a bit.

“My dear, over the years Elementals have become a hunted species by those who don’t understand us. They have sought to kill us and, as Kayla says, they deserve nothing less.”



I was disappointed with this book partly because it was so different to book 1. Elemental princess was pure fantasy, with a bit of romance, whilst this story was more paranormal contemporary, and I just didn’t like it as much as Elemental Princess.

There was a little bit of romance, but it didn’t interest me, probably because I didn’t really care all that much for the characters.

“Kaden deepened the kiss as he slanted his mouth over hers, his hands firmly pressed against her back.”



I didn’t really feel like much was tied up at the end, but I was ready for the book to finish. Apologies to the author, but I feel this was maybe a case of wrong book wrong person.
6 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've been in a reading slump these past few books. I'm sure it'll get better!

    (On a side note, I love salads, but I've also been told I have the tastes of a rabbit, so...)

    ReplyDelete