Saturday, 28 March 2015

Of Shadow and Stone by Michelle Muto

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Publishing and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Gargoyles were created centuries ago to protect mankind, but something went horribly wrong. Now only the sentinel—a mortal chosen to control the stone beasts—stands between them and their human prey. When the latest sentinel is killed, Kate Mercer is destined to take his place. But Kate has enough going on in her life—like a skyrocketing film career, a delusional ex-boyfriend, and a crazed stalker who will stop at nothing to get to her. But the powers that be have decided, and Kate is transported to Shadow Wood, a mysterious castle that serves as a sanctuary for the supernatural. Although beautiful, Shadow Wood is no safe place for a mere mortal. Yet Kate is drawn not only to the gargoyles but also to Ian McGuire, a charming novelist who might be in the greatest danger of all. As Kate decides whether to accept the most perilous role of her life, she discovers there are more secrets than answers within the castle’s walls. Her survival and Ian’s depend on her ability to master the gargoyles before time runs out. Is fate really cast in stone?

Of Shadow and Stone by Michelle Muto

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Of Shadow and Stone(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Amazon Publishing and NetGalley.)

There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book; I just lost interest.

My main complaint with this book was just the amount of stuff in there that didn’t need to be in there. I’m all for world-building, and setting the scene, but sometimes we don’t need to know quite so much. Fair enough, tell us what the character is wearing; but I personally don’t need to know every detail down to what shade of lavender her knickers were.

“Once showered, she popped open the wardrobe closet to see what outfit would magically appear. The wardrobe contained a pair of black jeans and a silky lilac sweater. Next to the blouse hung a butter-soft black leather jacket, and at the bottom sat a pair of black hiking boots. In one of the smaller draws she found pale lavender underwear, a matching bra, and black socks.”

Likewise, I don’t need to know the entire contents of someone’s fridge, wonderings over whether the character watched DVD’s or watched digital copies of films, or whether the furniture was Shaker style or something else.

As for the rest of the storyline, I felt like it just got drowned in all these details that kept being thrust upon me, and I just got really bored. I didn’t come across anything that really offended me, or bothered me, I just felt ambivalent, and then bored.
5 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. I had kind of the same feelings. I felt like a majority of the book was just world-building and telling the characters was was going on. It wasn't a horrible book, but this made it a bit boring.

    ReplyDelete