Friday, 13 March 2015

How (Not) to Fall in Love by Lisa Brown Roberts

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Seventeen-year-old Darcy Covington never had to worry about money or where her next shopping spree was coming from. Even her dog ate gourmet. Then one day, Darcy’s car is repossessed from the parking lot of her elite private school. As her father’s business hit the skids, Dad didn’t just skip town, he bailed on his family. Fortunately, Darcy’s uncle owns a thrift shop where she can hide out from the world. There’s also Lucas, the wickedly hot fix-it guy she can’t stop crushing on, even if she’s not sure they’ll ever get out of the friend zone. But it’s here among the colorful characters of her uncle’s world that Darcy begins to see something more in herself...if she has the courage to follow it.

How (Not) to Fall in Love by Lisa Brown Roberts

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


How (Not) to Fall in Love(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

'This notice informs owner TYLER COVINGTON that vehicle 2013 Audi VIN 214081094809148 has been reposessed due to nonpayment after notice to cure was sent via certified mail.'



This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

I didn’t really warm to any of the characters in this book. Darcy was a bit irritating at first, and I didn’t like the way she got so offended at being called ‘high maintenance’ when until a couple of days previously she really was!

'His eyes sparkled with laughter, but I wasn't amused. "You think I'm high-maintenance?"'



The storyline in this just seemed to alternate between ‘we have no money’, and ‘does he like me?’, and it all just felt a bit repetitive. The pace was also really slow, and I just got bored.

'Had he almost kissed me? Or was I losing my mind.'



The romance was again very much of the ‘does he like me?’ variety, and I got really quick sick of waiting, and waiting, and waiting.

'His hand brushed mine, lacing our fingers briefly, but beofre I could catch my breath, he released my hand and took hold of Toby's leash.'



The ending was okay, but more than anything I was just glad that the book was over. It felt a heck of a lot longer than it was.
6 out of 10

'I'm still looking. Not sure when I'll find it. But I love you. - Dad'



1 comment: