Monday, 2 March 2015

Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy #1) by Lynn Carthage

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old Phoebe Irving has traded life in San Francisco for her stepfather’s ancestral mansion in rural England. It’s supposed to be the new start her family needs. But from the moment she crosses the threshold into the ancient estate, Phoebe senses something ominous. Then again, she's a little sensitive lately—not surprising when her parents are oblivious to her, her old life is six thousand miles away, and the only guy around is completely gorgeous but giving her mixed messages. But at least Miles doesn’t laugh at Phoebe’s growing fears. And she can trust him…maybe. The locals whisper about the manor’s infamous original owner, Madame Arnaud, and tell grim stories of missing children and vengeful spirits. Phoebe is determined to protect her loved ones—especially her little sister, Tabby. But even amidst the manor’s dark shadows, the deepest mysteries may involve Phoebe herself…

Haunted by Lynn Carthage

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Haunted (The Arnaud Legacy, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)

“Her right index finger had decomposed so much that just one long bone stuck out at the end. That bone was still resting on the organ key she had played about an hour ago.”



This was an okay ghost story, but I found it a bit predictable.

I did feel sorry for Phoebe at first. Having to leave her home and friends to move to England must have been really hard, and her parents seemed to ignore her a lot. Not to mention that she was living in a haunted house!

“My family doesn’t seem to listen to me anymore.”
A big silence fell.
“They’re punishing me for something that happened back in California, before we moved,” I said.
“Punishing you by ignoring you?”




The storyline in this was okay, and it was easy to imagine what the big haunted mansion looked like, and what the creepy ghost looked like!



My main problem with this book was that I guessed what was going on really early on in the book, by the 22% mark I had figured out what wouldn’t actually be revealed in the book until the 57% mark, which ruined the book for me really. Whether this was why I then found the pace to be slow I don’t know, but I felt like I was waiting for the revelation that I had already guessed.

“My parents do it, too,” he said.
I looked bleakly into his beautiful sapphire eyes, the same colour as a ring I’d begged Mom for (unsuccessfully) when I turned sixteen.
“What the hell?” I protested weakly. “How could you do that to your own kid?”




There was some romance in this book, and Miles and Phoebe did come across as made for each other.

“He pulled me to him and kissed me. It felt incredible – the best thing I’d felt in seemingly years.”



The ending to this was the best part for me, but I was also left with some unanswered questions, over what would happen to Phoebe in the future.
Overall; okay ghost story, but a little predictable for me,
6 out of 10

I'd tried to push Madame Arnaud away, and my hands were made of air.
"Please... leave her alone," I'd pleaded.
Madame Arnaud had simply laughed. "I think not," She'd said.



No comments:

Post a Comment