Friday, 20 March 2015

Fantasy of Frost (The Tainted Accords #1) by Kelly St. Clare

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kelly St. Clare.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
I know many things. What I am capable of, what I will change, what I want to become. But there is one thing I will never know. Being the Tatuma of our world, the next to rule, should have given me a privileged life. One full of friends, love and happiness. If my mother did not hate me, I probably would have had all of that. Instead, she has kept me veiled from birth, turning the possibility of this distant dream into a living nightmare. Shunned by the court, abused from childhood, I am trapped within this material barrier and will never know my own face. Only two friends and a determination to become Tatum keep me sane. I am unaware everything in my life is about to change when the peace delegate arrives from the savage world of Glacium. Hidden agendas, past secrets and my struggle to stay alive–while still becoming the person I want to be–careen wildly out of control.

Fantasy of Frost by Kelly St. Clare

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Fantasy of Frost (The Tainted Accords #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kelly St. Clare.)

“Do you choose to wear that veil?” he asks, turning back to me.
I shake my head, and suddenly Kedrick is boiling mad. “Your mother is one sick, twisted bitch.”




This was a really stunning YA fantasy novel, leaving me highly anticipating the next instalment!

“You can’t be saying that you’ve never seen your own face,” he says. My silence is confirmation enough.



I really liked the characters in this book, and I felt so sorry for Olina. The way her mother had treated her was truly disgusting, to have never seen your own face, to be forced to veil yourself from everyone, and to also receive regular beatings at your own mother’s command is really shocking. I was really glad that Olina had managed to find love with Prince Kedrick, and I really wanted them to be allowed to be together.

“What happened?” The question barely disturbs the air, it is so quiet.
“I was being followed everywhere. They were on her before I could do anything. They slit her throat and made me watch her die.”




The world-building in this was really good, and I liked that things were explained so simply, without the use of info-dumps. I sometimes get confused by fantasy novels, but I didn’t have that problem at all with Fantasy of Frost.

“When you get married you lose the ‘O’ at the front of your name,” I say. “So when I marry. My name will go from Olina, to Lina.” I try to imagine getting married and Kedrick pops into my mind.



The storyline in this was done really well, and I even appreciated the heart-breaking moments. I felt really scared and upset for Olina at times, and I just couldn’t stop reading!

“Do not test me. Your life is forfeit if I so much as detect you have twitched your veil without my permission,”



There was some romance, and I liked it, but I was very saddened by the way this romance was brought to an end. It was just so, so sad!

“I would be more than your friend.” He steps up to me and grabs my other elbow, bringing me to face him. I place both hands on his chest to steady myself, speechless. He tilts my chin upwards, leans his head down and kisses me thorough the veil. The heat of his skin reaches mine. The veil moulds to my lips and I taste the salt of my sweat. The friction causes tingles to spread through my body all the way to my toes. “I love you,” he says.



The ending to this was a little surprising, and we were left with a bit of cliff-hanger. I will certainly be keeping an eye out for the next instalment of this thrilling tale!
8.5 out of 10




1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and good to hear it was well done

    ReplyDelete