Sunday, 22 March 2015

All That We Have Lost by Kate Ashton

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kate Ashton.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Juliana flies to Paris in an effort to say a final goodbye to her husband who died on a top-secret mission—or that’s what she was told because a body was never found. When she bumps into a man who looks like her husband but has no memories, she starts on a journey to find the truth. A journey filled with emotional peril and danger, a journey only she can take. But she’s not alone. Daniel wanders, lost, unable to remember anything of his past, except for the horrific flashbacks. Lucy, estranged from her family, works as a fortuneteller, unable to receive a vision on what matters most to her. The one thing that could bring her family back together. Mia leaves her crumbling marriage to support her mother in Paris. She's forced to face the grief of losing her father, but she’s challenged to rise above to rescue a lost soldier, and possibly, be a hero. In this story about rescue, restoration, and second chances, all four will face their past—the heartache and the pain—in a moving rescue mission like no other.

All That We Have Lost by Kate Ashton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


All That We Have Lost(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Kate Ashton.)

This was an okay story, there was nothing wrong with it; it just wasn’t my sort of story though. I have to say that I have read books by Kate Ashton before, and really, really loved them; I think this story literally just wasn’t my sort of thing.

There were several characters, and the writing jumped back and forth between their pasts and presents, and this told the story nicely, and showed where each character was coming from. More things were revealed as the story went along, and the relationships between characters became more obvious as the pieces fit together. Unfortunately though, I couldn’t really relate to the characters, I couldn’t get a good feel for any of them, and I didn’t really feel involved in their problems at all.

The subject matter of this book was about men who had gone missing whilst in combat, and the women back at home left missing them and wondering if they were dead or alive. Whether I didn’t connect with this because of my disinterest in war and such things I don’t know, but I just didn’t feel anything. I had hoped that I would get sucked into this story, that I would feel the women’s hurt and desperation, that I would feel a burning need to find out what had happened, and what was still happening the way they did, but I just didn’t feel anything.

The ending to this did have some surprises, but again, I just didn’t feel anything, and had really lost interest by the time I got to the end. To feel really bad saying that I didn’t enjoy this book, when I’ve enjoyed the author’s previous books, but unfortunately this one just wasn’t for me.
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment