Thursday, 19 February 2015

Without You by Reylynn Purdue

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Reylynn Purdue and NetGalley.
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Roxanne Daniels was supposed to be spending her summer getting ready to head off to Julliard. That was the plan. But that was before-- Before she found her mother’s lifeless body-- Before she walked in on her boyfriend in bed with someone else. Before she knew what heart shattering pain felt like. Now all she wants is for the pain to go away. But it never does. Until him. A complete stranger who could end up being much more. But letting go and moving on is easier said than done.

Without You by Reylynn Purdue

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Without You(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Reylynn Purdue and NetGalley.)

“Full disclosure – my ex-boyfriend, who wrecked my world, is about to walk by. I’m begging you to please pretend to know me.”



This was an okay story, but I did have issues with it.

“People shouldn’t just grab strangers off the street and kiss them, but damn, this guy could kiss.”



Roxanne was certainly a confrontational character. She cussed a lot, she was crude, she threw tantrums, she drank too much, pushed people away too much, and was generally not an easy person to be around. I thought that her brother was a bit over-protective of her, but she just goaded him by coming onto his friends and stripping in public!

“There are billions of people in this world, Roxanne. Billions! Asking you not to hook up with my friends isn’t that insane of a request.”



She claimed she didn’t want a boyfriend, yet got jealous at the thought of Jordan being with someone else, and waxed lyrical about how much she hated cheating, and then kept flirting with and trying to kiss other men when she was kind-of with Jordan. Ugh.

“This is not me being a sl*t. You want to see sl*t?” I unhooked my bra and pulled it off. Then, I turned around and waved my hands in the air. “Who wants to screw me?” I shouted.



The storyline in this revolved around the romance, but it seemed very repetitive, and the pace was a bit slow. All that happened was Roxanne, wanting Jordan, then pushing him away, then flirting with some other guy, and annoying her brother, then wanting Jordan again, then pushing him away again, flirting with some other guy, and annoying her bother. Repeat, Repeat. She also drank too much, wore very little, and generally didn’t really know what she wanted. Every time she lied about something it drove me nuts, and every time she pushed Jordan away, then missed him, I got so angry!

“Why does it matter to you how I feel? I’m not your girlfriend. This” – I motioned between him and me – “is just supposed to be fun.”
“Are you freaking kidding me right now? Are you seriously telling me that’s all you want? Because things have changed on my end, Roxy.”
“I don’t care if things have changed for you. They haven’t changed for me. I don’t want or need you to care about me.”




We did get quite a few steamy scenes in this book. Lots of kissing and removing of clothes in public, groping and rubbing and fore-play, and wanting. Then when they actually had sex, it was behind closed doors. I mean, I have nothing against closed-door sex, but we’d already had so many half-clothed and sexy scenes, that it just felt like such a disappointment!

“His hands were in my hair as he cradled my head and laid me back onto the sand. I wanted him more than I needed air. He was making everything else just fade away. There was no more pain and no more sadness. The world ceased to exist.”



The ending to this was also a disappointment. I hoped that after all of this Roxanne would come to her senses and we’d get a happy ending, but no such luck. The ending wasn’t happy or an ending, instead we got left with nothing solved, and a cliff-hanger! So annoying!

6.5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment