Sunday, 15 February 2015

The Enchanted Rose by Nadia Nader

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Nadia Nader.
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Vivian’s mother dies in a tragic accident, Vivian’s world is turned upside down. Her life, as she knows it, is over. A new life, full of her mother’s secrets, begins… Sent away by her father to live with two eccentric aunts on the mysterious Tremaine Estate, Vivian comes to learn that a powerful curse lurks over her family – one that only she may have the power to break. With each day she spends in Misty Hills, Vivian uncovers more unsettling discoveries about the town, her reclusive family, and herself. Can Vivian let go of every truth she’s ever believed and discover who she really is, before the dark secrets hidden within the supernatural town threaten to consume her and those she loves?



The Enchanted Rose by Nadia Nader

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


The Enchanted Rose(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Nadia Nader.)

Her smile slipped slowly as I stared silently at her, until it was completely replaced by the furrowed brows and pursed lips. “You’re a freak too, aren’t you? All you Tremaines have wrongness running through you.”



This was an intriguing YA paranormal story, and I enjoyed it.

I liked Vivian in this story. I felt really sorry for her because she had lost her mother, and it seemed quite unfair that her father then sent her away too.

‘What about me?’ I thought. ‘Don’t I get to have some time to get used to having lost my mother? Do I have to lose my father too?’




The storyline in this book was full of little surprises and twists. I guessed some of them, but there were so many that I didn’t guess! I loved the fairy-tale nature of the ‘problem’ that was plaguing Vivian’s family, and I loved when the identity of Rose was revealed!

“Wh-wh-who are you?” I stammered in shock. MY heart pounded like a drum, threatening to burst out of my chest, and the tingling in my hands redoubled.
She narrowed her eyes, tilting her head. ‘Is that what I look like when I do that?’ I wondered distractedly as my brain tried to understand what it was seeing.




There wasn’t really any romance in this story, although there was one boy who could possibly be a love interest in the next book.

“Need some help?” a deep voice asked.
I yelped, startled. I lost my balance and fell backwards in an undignified heap.
“Are you okay?” the voice asked with barely concealed mirth.
My face grew hot. I looked up at a tall boy, who was watching me in amused concern. He looked to be my age. He reached out a hand toward me. I grasped it and stood up.
“Sorry.”




The ending to this seemed to come quite suddenly, and we were left with tonnes of questions! I really hope that the next book is not far away because I need to know how this story ends!

The dismay I felt must have shown on my face because she laughed.
As I turned to look at the principle, I realised I was in a lot of trouble.





Overall; intriguing YA paranormal mystery story,
7 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment