Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Red Queen
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood--those with red and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles, she discovers a power of her own--an ability she didn't know she had. Except . . . her blood is Red.

To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver world, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard--the leaders of a Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance, pitting prince against prince--and Mare against her own heart.

From debut author Victoria Aveyard comes a lush, vivid fantasy series where loyalty and desire can tear you apart and the only certainty is betrayal.


Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


Red Queen(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
17-year-old Mare is waiting for the day when she is conscripted into the army the same way her older brothers were before her. She knows that her conscription is inevitable, even while she doesn’t want to fight a war for the Silver-bloods.
When her best friend loses his job and is also headed for the army, she knows that she has to do something to save the both of them.
Can Mare really save herself from conscription? Or are there worse fates in store for her?


This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Mare was an okay character, and I appreciated the way she stole to help her family. I didn’t love her though, and some of the decisions she made were not good, and not well thought out. She seemed to rush into things, without really considering the consequences, and that started to irritate me after a while.

The storyline in this was okay, but the pace was a bit too slow, and I felt like it was a bit predictable. I felt like the story was an amalgamation of several other fantasy books that I have read, and I just got bored and lost interest. I sort-of appreciated what was going on, and the importance of what the reds were fighting for, but it really struggled to hold my attention.
There wasn’t really a great deal of romance in this one, and I think it might have been better if there was.

The ending to this was again, predictable, and slow. I was glad about certain aspects, but I still had trouble staying focused. I’m not sure if I want to read the next book in the series. I feel like I want to know what happens, but I’m also not sure I want to sit through another 400 pages of this.
Overall; slow fantasy story,
6.25 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I have to agree that it was predictable and there are overlays of many other YA stories I've read int eh book. I also had issues with the lack of world building and romance, that was the worst. I think the romance could have been left out and it would have been a bit better. In the end, I did end up liking it, though, despite the fact that I pretty much knew the twists that would happen. And the very end definitely reminded me of Catching Fire. I will read on, though, I enjoyed it enough. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually thought it was a historical saga, like some Philippa Gregory novel :D
    So thanks for this, I would probably spent days searching for a copy. :)
    Great review, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete