Sunday, 22 February 2015

Purenet (The Sanction Series #1) by H.J. Lawson

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author HJLawson and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Purenet is one of six wealthy Sanctions, formed by the Emperor and the Untouchables after a devastating world war. Only those born in Purenet have the privilege of living under the dome, protecting their bodies from the sun’s deadly UVA rays. Skylier is desperate to escape her underground confines and save her mother’s life. On a school visit, she hears something she’s not supposed to, and now she realizes that not only is her whole life a lie, but she is in grave danger… She doesn’t know who to trust, and her enemies are everywhere… even closer than she realizes. Now she is in a race against time to save not only her life, but her mother's and those she cares about. And if she fails, she'll suffer a fate worse than death..."

Purenet by H.J. Lawson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Purenet(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author HJLawson and NetGalley.)

“It’s funny that, when we are young, all we want to do is get older; and when we are old, all we want is to be young again.”

This was an okay story, but I was glad that it was short.

The characters in this book were okay, but I didn’t really love any of them. I felt quite sorry for Skylier with her mother being ill, and her only choices being to incubate babies or become a prostitute in order to pay for medicine, but I still didn’t love her.

“If I become a Host, every day I could try something new, and smell the roses. As I look around the room, it’s clear that my classmates are thinking the same thing.”



The storyline in this wasn’t bad, but I just didn’t feel sucked into the story. The living underground reminded me a bit of ‘Red Rising’, the domes reminded me of several different books, and the being a ‘host’ for babies also reminded me of several other books. There were a couple of things that I didn’t see coming, and they were quite interesting, but I think this was probably just a case of wrong-person, wrong-book for me.

“Looking through the canyon one again, past the beauty of the oasis, the true horror takes its form.”



The ending to this was okay, but it did feel very much like more of a pause for the next book rather than a proper ending. To be honest I was glad that this book was short, because I think otherwise I would have disliked this rather than being ambivalent.

“Don’t worry, Skylier, everyone is nice here… so long as you follow the rules,” he whispers into my ear.
“Three years will go fast… it always does.”




6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm. I agree that I've seen a lot of these ideas before, so I guess for me it would depend on the execution. Doing a post about this (the concept, not the book) soon.
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete