Friday, 20 February 2015

One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Contemporary and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Tomboy to the core, Toni Valentine understands guys. She'll take horror movies, monster hunts and burping contests over manicures. So Toni is horrified when she's sent to the Winston Academy for Girls, where she has to wear a skirt and learn to be a lady while the guys move on without her. Then Toni meets Emma Elizabeth, a girl at school with boy troubles, and she volunteers one of her friends as a pretend date. Word spreads of Toni’s connections with boys, and she discovers that her new wealthy female classmates will pay big money for fake dates. Looking for a way to connect her old best friends with her new life at school, Toni and Emma start up Toni Valentine’s Rent-A-Gent Service. But the business meets a scandal when Toni falls for one of her friends--the same guy who happens to be the most sought-after date. With everything she's built on the line, Toni has to decide if she wants to save the business and her old life, or let go of being one of the guys for a chance at love.

One of the Guys by Lisa Aldin

My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


One of the Guys(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Spencer Hill Contemporary and NetGalley.)

“Toni. Relax,” Ollie whispers to me, rather pleased with himself. At least someone had fun tonight. “What’s the worst that could happen?”
Yeah. Famous last words.


free glitter text and family website at FamilyLobby.com

This was an okay story, but I lost interest the further into it I got.

“My dad used to joke that the day I wore a skirt would be the day the zombie apocalypse rolled into town. Two hours in and I have yet to see a zombie, but I do feel like the living dead.”




Toni started out as a girl who really didn’t act like a girl. She wore basketball shorts under her skirt (in case her wearing a skirt initiated a zombie apocalypse), belched loudly, scratched her butt in public, and was generally pretty unladylike. She was also pretty clueless when it came to guys in a romantic sense, but she did have a lot more male friends than anyone at the Winston Academy, which was possibly the only thing she had over them!

I land on the shaggy carpet with a giant thud and let out a belly-shattering belch that could put any beer-guzzler to shame.
“Aw, that’s better! I’ve been holding that in all day!” I exclaim, rubbing my stomach.




The storyline in this started out alright, and I was enjoying the story up until the 30% mark, then things started to go a bit downhill. I liked the girl-who-acts-like-a-boy storyline, I liked the clueless-about-romance storyline, but the fixing-girls-up-with-dates-for-cash storyline? Not so much. I don’t know whether this was because I feel like I’ve read similar books like this before, or if it’s just that I thought it was a bad idea, but I really lost interest when this became the main storyline.

A splendid little smile spreads across Emma’s glossed lips. “She wants to book him for the rest of the year,” she says. “We’re officially in business Toni Valentine.”



There was a tiny smidgen of romance, but this book was really lacking on the romance front in my opinion. I thought that Lock and Toni would make a cute couple, I liked the romantic tension, and I liked the will-they/won’t they? But unfortunately there just wasn’t enough of it! I felt like I was really short-changed, and I wanted more about Toni and Lock, but it just didn’t happen.

My blood runs cold.
His lips are close to her skin. His fingers in her hair. Her eyes locked with his, her small body folding into him like a missing puzzle piece.
“Do you know that guy or something?” Kevin asks, scratching at his loin cloth.
“I thought I did.”




The ending to this was okay, but it wasn’t anything surprising or exciting, and I just felt a little disappointed. It was a shame that a book that seemed really promising at the beginning just didn’t pan out.
6.25 out of 10


1 comment: