Wednesday, 11 February 2015

My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
My Heart and Other Black Holes
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner.

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince.


My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


My Heart and Other Black Holes(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Aysel wants to die, but she’s afraid she’ll chicken out when it comes to the big moment. When she sees an advert on a suicide website for a 17-year-old boy looking for a suicide partner, she contacts him.
Will a suicide partner help Aysel to achieve her goal? Or will he help her see that there are things in life worth living for?


I was a little concerned when I started reading this book that it would be depressing, but thankfully it wasn’t too bad.

I empathised with Aysel even though I didn’t love her. As someone who has struggled with the same feelings I could totally relate to what she was going through and the way she felt, but to me suicide is a very selfish route to take. How can a person take their own sadness, and inflict it on everyone they love? How does that solve anything? How can someone want other people to feel what they feel when it is so heart-wrenchingly painful?

Anyway, the storyline in this was different. I can’t say I have ever heard of a suicide-partner, and I can’t imagine that they would work well. Depression is a solitary affair, and surely having the support of a partner (even a suicide partner), would in some way lesson those feelings of being totally alone? And also, like both Aysel and Roman discussed in this book – could you really trust the other person to go through with it?

The main thing that kept me reading this story to be honest was the mystery. It drove me nuts that Aysel wanted to kill herself following something that her father did that was related to the death of a teenage boy, but that we didn’t know exactly what had happened! The fact that we had to wait until nearly the end of the book was a little irritating to me, but I may just lack patience.

There wasn’t really much romance in this, even though feelings did develop slowly through the course of the book, I didn’t really feel the romance, and I’m not sure it really had that much bearing on the outcome of the story.

The ending to this was okay, but it was a little predictable. The author could have gone with a much bolder, and less acceptable, less bright end to the story, but I had a feeling right from the start that that wasn’t likely to happen.
Overall; okay story, but I didn’t love it,
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment