Thursday, 26 February 2015

Ever Darkening by Janeal Falor

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Janeal Falor, Chardonian Press, and NetGalley.
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Perfection. Goodness. Elimination of evil. It's what seventeen-year-old Kaylyn has trained her entire life to achieve. But no one is prepared for the consequences of her actually defeating all evil people on the planet. Finally successful in her mission, Kaylyn faces an unfamiliar world, full of good people doing good things, in which she no longer has purpose. When the skies grow dark, and a stranger from another village pleads for her help, her instincts roar to life. It turns out their perfect world isn't exactly what it seems. Kaylyn's new quest, harder than any she's been on before, will rip apart her friendships, her life, and her soul more than any evil man ever managed to.

Ever Darkening by Janeal Falor

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Ever Darkening(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Janeal Falor, Chardonian Press, and NetGalley.)

“Being the one chosen to kill the entire evil population is a burden heavier than sin.”



I feel a little torn over this book, because I’ve read Janeal Falor’s books in the past, and I think she has a real gift for telling a story, but this book just didn’t do it for me.

Kaylyn was an okay character, and I did get glimpses of a girl I could have liked, but most of the time she was so closed off, and so insular, that I just couldn’t really feel like I understood where she was coming from. I understood that she had this big destiny, and that she had a lot of responsibility, but I just couldn’t love her. She also made some questionable decisions at times, which made me wonder just how much of her actions were intelligence, and how much had just been drummed into her through training.

“I’ve killed seventeen Malryx, most within the last few months, and I killed the very last one.”



The storyline in this confused me, and I lost interest. I do sometimes have problems with fantasy stories, and this one was possibly just a bit too high-fantasy for me. In places it reminded me of Bitterblue, and I really didn’t like that either. I did think that the story had some bright points in the second half, but I still couldn’t really get into it.

“When we’ve gont on quests before, I could sense where the threat was coming from. Now there’s nothing. Except it’s not nothing. The nothing feels like something. Which sounds like nonsense.”

It took me ages to work out what the heck she was going on about here.

The romance was a little odd, and I wasn’t really interested at all. I think if I’d have liked the characters more I’d have liked the romance, but I just didn’t.

The ending was probably the best part of the book, although it was a bit odd, and the answer to their problems turned out to be extremely simple in the end. I have to say I was pleased to see the end of the story though. Sorry Janeal!
6 out of 10



No comments:

Post a Comment