Saturday, 28 February 2015

All Fall Down (Embassy Row #1) by Ally Carter

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.

Blurb (from Goodreads):
Grace can best be described as a daredevil, an Army brat, and a rebel. She is also the only granddaughter of perhaps the most powerful ambassador in the world and Grace has spent every summer of her childhood running across the roofs of Embassy Row. Now, at age sixteen, she's come back to stay - in order to solve the mystery of her mother's death. In the process, she uncovers an international conspiracy of unsettling proportions, and must choose her friends and watch her foes carefully if she and the world are to be saved.


All Fall Down by Ally Carter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


All Fall Down (Embassy Row #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley.)

“I can apologise in seven different languages. It’s just something you pick up when you’re me.”



This was an interesting YA mystery story, and I really liked the details revealed at the end of the book!

I liked Grace although she did make some questionable decisions at times. I felt really sorry for her in the way she’d lost her mother though, and it must have been really hard for her. Even though she came across as nuts, she really did have good intentions though, and was intent on finding her mother’s killer and bringing them to justice no matter what.

“Yes, it was dark,” I snap back. “Yes, I was young, and it was traumatic. Yes, I have never been the most reliable girl in the world, but I know what I saw. And I’m telling you, I saw a man with a scar on his left cheek shoot my mother. I heard the bomb that burned her shop to the ground.”



The storyline in this was pretty good, and the good moments overshadowed the slower moments. Grace’s questionable decisions actually made for some amusing situations, and Grace came out with some brilliant lines, and she really made me laugh!

“Oh my gosh,” I mutter to myself. “That guy is hot.”
“That guy’s my dad.” Noah says it like he’s said it like he’s said it a lot. “The ambassador.”




There were some things that I didn’t really understand, because I don’t know anything about international relations, but I managed to get the gist of it.

“It’s not like it’s an international incident.” I look from Lila to Megan to Rosie, and then finally I let my gaze linger on Noah, who eases closer, lowers his voice.
“Actually, Grace, it kind of is. We’re Israeli. And that is Iran.”
When I look back at the blue-and-white scarf, I realise that, from a distance, it bears a striking resemblance to the flag of Lila and Noah’s home nation.
“The Israeli ambassador gave that scarf to our mom. In fact, he gave scarves like it to all of the women on his senior staff,” Noah says. “If anyone sees that up there…”




The ending to this was interesting, and I liked the details that were revealed. I did guess one thing very early on, but I didn’t guess the rest, and I did enjoy this book overall.
7.25 out of 10

“You should go home now, Grace.” His face is covered in shadow. His voice is soft but strong. “I don’t want to see you get hurt.”



No comments:

Post a Comment