Monday, 26 January 2015

The Halcyon Bird (The Demon Catchers of Milan #2) by Kat Beyer

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to EgmontUSA and Edelweiss.
The Halcyon Bird
Blurb (from Goodreads):
For fans of Lauren Kate and Cassandra Clare, a romance with a paranormal streak.

Mia has settled into her life with the Della Torres -- Milan's premier demon-catching family, accompanying them to exorcisms and even learning some way to be useful in the family trade. Then Bernardo comes into her life, handsome, well-mannered, someone who makes her forget her impossible crush on Emilio, her cousin. But always lurking in the background is the demon who possessed Mia once before, and who has not given up on possessing her again--this time for good.

*"Mia has a strong gift for the family trade, which, like the novel's other elements...are portrayed in exquisite, affectionate detail. This one goes to the head of the class." - Kirkus, starred review

"Sets the stage for a thrilling sequel. By the book's close, Mia is armed and ready--she whispers to the demon lurking beyond, 'You'll have to wait. But I'm coming. Believe me, I'm coming.' Readers will be ready, too." - Booklist

"A supernatural novel with a fresh promise, worthy of note." - School Library Journal


The Halcyon Bird by Kat Beyer

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



The Halcyon Bird(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to EgmontUSA and Edelweiss.)

“Il mio nome e Vendetta,” whispered the demon, cold, guttural.
Oh, please, I thought. For real? “I call myself Vengenance.”
This one should be easy, at least.




This was an okay story, but I did feel like there was a lot of stuff in there that really didn’t need to be in there.

Mia’s verbal diarrhoea continued in this book, while I understood her need to wax lyrical about Italian coffee in the first book, I didn’t expect it to continue in this book, and it wasn’t just about the coffee either. We got all sorts of in-depth descriptions and info-dumps about bicycles, coffee, Venice, wine making, and even a squash!

“Nonno Giuliana was very pleased that Anna Maria and I had found the entries on the Second Door. We read on, learning about the kinds of wood G. Della Torre had used, the number of silver nails, and the real iron nails that had been used to keep the thing from falling off the wall of the palace.”



I mean I will say that at least the door was a significant part of the plot, but discussing wood and nails? I’m sorry, but I’m just not interested in that!



The storyline in this did have a few interesting moments interspersed with Mia’s uncontrollable babbling about things, but I didn’t find them all that entertaining. There were some moments that I think were supposed to be creepy, but they fell a bit flat for me.

“He was holding the hand of a small boy, who looked up at me and spoke in my demon’s voice. I stopped still.
“I will come for you,” the child said simply, his voice deep gravelly, horribly familiar. The grandfather frowned down at his grandson; the air opened and parted; the boy blinked in confusion, himself again.”




We did get a little bit of romance, although Mia once again showed herself up a bit by walking into a car door in front of the boy she liked!

“No problem,” I said lightly, smiling at him, and walked smack into the passenger door.



We did finally get a little bit of action and excitement at the 86% mark, which was a case of ‘too little, too late’ for me. It was a nice change from the pace of the rest of the book, but at that point I really wanted the book to be over.

“Go ahead,” I told my demon. “We’re not finished yet.”



Buffy, she aint.
5 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment