Friday, 30 January 2015

I Was Here by Gayle Forman

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster UK Children's and NetGalley.
I Was Here
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From the bestselling author of If I Stay - this summer's YA blockbuster film.

This characteristically powerful novel follows eighteen-year-old Cody Reynolds in the months following her best friend's shocking suicide.

As Cody numbly searches for answers as to why Meg took her own life, she begins a journey of self-discovery which takes her to a terrifying precipice, and forces her to question not only her relationship with the Meg she thought she knew, but her own understanding of life, love, death and forgiveness.

A phenomenally moving story, I Was Here explores the sadly all-too-familar issue of suicide and self-harm, addressing it in an authentic way with sensitivity and honesty.



I Was Here by Gayle Forman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I Was Here(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Simon and Schuster UK Children's and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but I did feel that it dragged a bit.

Cody was an okay character, but I found it took me a long while to really understand her and to relate to her. At times I just wanted to shake her and ask her what the hell she was doing, and I didn’t really feel like got her at all until the end of the book, and only then because we got a bit of a sentimental epilogue.

The storyline in this revolved around Cody trying to discover what led her friend Meg to suicide, and more specifically began digging into her online life and emails to try and find clues as to what was going through her head at the time. I understood her need for answers, but when she started taking things too far, and putting her own life in danger, I did start to question what she thought she had to gain.

There was some romance, and it wasn’t bad. I did like the way the romance played out, and I liked that history didn’t repeat itself as such, but I also questioned whether Meg would really approve of Cody’s choice of boyfriend!

The ending to this was okay, and we got a sentimental epilogue that was nice. I did like this more than ‘If I stay’, but not a lot, and mainly for the last chapter+epilogue.
6 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. I didn't like If I Stay, and I'm wondering if this will be the same sort of okay-ness. Your review has done well to convince me. I really hate it when characters go over the top doing things!

    ReplyDelete