Sunday, 25 January 2015

Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter #2) by Megan Shepherd


Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
To defeat the darkness, she must first embrace it.

Months have passed since Juliet Moreau returned to civilization after escaping her father's island—and the secrets she left behind. Now, back in London once more, she is rebuilding the life she once knew and trying to forget Dr. Moreau’s horrific legacy—though someone, or something, hasn’t forgotten her.

As people close to Juliet fall victim one by one to a murderer who leaves a macabre calling card of three clawlike slashes, Juliet fears one of her father’s creations may have also escaped the island. She is determined to find the killer before Scotland Yard does, though it means awakening sides of herself she had thought long banished, and facing loves from her past she never expected to see again.

As Juliet strives to stop a killer while searching for a serum to cure her own worsening illness, she finds herself once more in the midst of a world of scandal and danger. Her heart torn in two, past bubbling to the surface, life threatened by an obsessive killer—Juliet will be lucky to escape alive.

With inspiration from Robert Louis Stevenson’s The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this is a tantalizing mystery about the hidden natures of those we love and how far we’ll go to save them from themselves.


Her Dark Curiosity by Megan Shepherd

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Her Dark Curiosity (The Madman's Daughter, #2) “I stumbled back against the empty table, stunned. The thread slipped from my fingers, along with the spool of my sanity.
The murderer was the same. Somehow, even though I’d thought him dead, Edward had done this.”




This was a really good sequel, which this time turned into a real ‘Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde’ kind of story!



I really liked Juliet in this story, and I felt sorry for her in the way her illness was taking over her life, and the fact that she had been abandoned by Montgomery. I did think she made some crazy decisions at times, and really pushed things at points, but it seemed clear that she was once again doing this to help other people. I knew that we’d definitely have at least one of Juliet’s beaus turning up in this book though, and yay(!) they both did!

“What secret?” I asked. When he didn’t answer I let the fork clatter to the floor and grabbed his suit lapel a little roughly. “What other secret was Montgomery keeping from me, Edward?”
“It doesn’t matter. You loved him, and he left you. I’d never do that to you. I’d sooner cut off my own hand than do anything to cause you pain.” My fingers were still coiled in the stiff fabric of his lapel, and he whispered, “If only you’d give me a chance…”




The storyline in this was really good, and we got quite a few twists and surprises! I liked the murder/mystery part of the story, I liked not knowing who would pop up next, I liked the little twists we got thrown with regards to Juliet’s father’s work, who Lucy’s new Beau was, as well as the question over what Juliet should do about Edward.

“I leaned my head back against the worn wood of the stairwell, eyes closed, uncertain if I was making the biggest mistake of my life by helping a murderer, or if I had found the one person in the world who understood me.”



I really liked the romance in this story too! The love-triangle certainly escalated in this story, with Juliet’s chastity a thing of the past, and even a proposal!

“I want to be just a man, that’s all, who isn’t marked with bruises, who can walk the streets without worry that he’ll kill someone.” He swallowed, as his hands again closed over mine. “Who can love you as you deserve to be loved.”



“Before I knew it, his lips found mine. He tasted of blood and sweat, and it twisted my insides into sharp angles. Tears started down my face but he kissed them away, cupping my cheek, trailing rough fingers along the smooth skin of my neck.
“I was so afraid I’d be too late,” he whispered into my hair. “I’d have torn him apart if he’d hurt you.””





The ending in this was so good! There was plenty of action, gunshot wounds, death, and once again it was time to flee! Really looking forward to book 3 now!

“Come with me,” I whispered, “I need you.”
The tensed muscles in his back eased. “You know I’d follow you anywhere. Though I fear we’ll both end up damned.”



"You wouldn't have abandoned me, and I'm not going to abandon you."




8 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this series, but I'm a little hesitant to read them because I'm not the biggest fan of love triangles. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there is a very definite love triangle, it doesn't take over the story though. At least all three books will be out tomorrow so you don't have to wait to see how it ends :)

      Delete