Saturday, 10 January 2015

Descendant (Starling #2) by Lesley Livingston


Descendant (Starling, #2)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The last thing Mason Starling remembers is the train crossing a bridge. An explosion . . . a blinding light . . . then darkness. Now she is alone, stranded in Asgard—the realm of Norse legend—and the only way for her to get home is to find the Spear of Odin, a powerful relic left behind by vanished gods.

The Fennrys Wolf knows all about Asgard. He was once trapped there. And he’ll do whatever it takes to find the girl who’s stolen his heart and bring her back—even if it means a treacherous descent into the Underworld. But time is running out, and Fenn knows something Mason doesn’t: If she takes up the Spear, she’ll set in motion a terrible prophecy. And she won’t just return to her world . . . she’ll destroy it.

In this pulse-pounding sequel to Starling, Lesley Livingston delivers another electrifying blend of nonstop action and undeniable romance that will leave readers breathless.


Descendant by Lesley Livingston

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars



Descendant (Starling, #2)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)

I wasn’t the biggest fan of the first book in this series, but other than some confusing moments, I actually liked this one a lot more.

Mason wasn’t the brightest spark in this book, and she did allow herself to be led at times, but given the situation I could kind-of forgive this a bit. Ending up in Hell, bumping into your dead mother, not knowing if your boyfriend is dead, and having little idea of how to get home can’t have been easy!

The storyline in this did lag at points, and I found some of the info-dumps a bit heavy going, I did like the action though, and I did find myself getting a bit more into this one than the previous book. I have to say that I seem to be a bit of an adrenalin junkie at times, and I really like a bit of action. Whilst on my treadmill, and thus free of all other distractions, I actually found myself focusing a bit more on this, and actually understanding what was going on!

This book was far from perfect though, it was confusing at points, it dragged, and I really did have to remove all other distractions to even stand a chance of focusing on this, I couldn’t even listen to it on text-to-speech without totally blocking it out!

There was some romance in this, and there was even a cute reunion between Fennyrs and Mason that was nice.

The ending to this was once again quite action packed, and whilst focused I actually liked it. There were a couple of surprising events though, and quite a bit of a cliff-hanger at the end!
I’ve debated a bit over this rating, but given that I liked it a lot more than Starling, and I burnt quite a few calories on the treadmill whilst reading it, I’m going to give it a generous…
7 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Great review. I haven't had the chance of checking out this particular author, i'm a bit clueless since this is a sequel but the Norse Myth draws me in...... Added it to my tbr hopefully i check check it soon :)
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete