Sunday, 14 December 2014

The In Between by Olivia Pierce

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Full Fathom Five and NetGalley.
The In Between
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Tara Jenkins and Justin Westcroft used to be childhood BFFs. Now in high school, Justin’s a popular, all-star athlete, and Tara spends her days admiring him from afar. But when Tara saves Justin from nearly drowning in a freak accident, he’s unable to get her out of his mind. In no time at all, Tara and Justin fall deeply in love. And even though it’s only high school, they seem destined for a Happily Ever After.

Until tragedy strikes—and this time, Justin’s not so lucky. Tara passes through her days as a shell of her former self: Justin’s dead, but she can still feel his presence, and she can’t seem to let him go.

But there’s a reason for that, and it’s not just grief: Justin is In Between, and he’s still holding on.

They say that when someone saves you, you’re tied to them for life. But what about in the afterlife?


The In Between by Olivia Pierce

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The In Between(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Full Fathom Five and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but the pace was a little slow for me.

Tara and Justin were characters that didn’t really make a big impression on me. Tara was ‘nice’, but I didn’t really feel strongly about her, Justin wasn’t a typical jock, and again was ‘nice’, there wasn’t really anything outstanding about either character for me though, and I didn’t really feel involved in their story.

The storyline in this was basically about Justin dying, and his time in the ‘in-between’. I felt like I spent a big chunk of the book just waiting for Justin to die though (that sounds so horrible), and I didn’t feel sucked in by the romance the way I would have liked. I would have liked to have actually felt something other than relief when Justin eventually died, and I would have liked to have felt like I had some sort of desire for the couple to be reunited, which I didn’t.

The ending didn’t really work for me. I don’t want to drop spoilers, but I just didn’t really like it, and while it was happy, it wasn’t necessarily the most believable ending in my opinion.
Overall; slow paranormal romance,
6 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment