Sunday, 7 December 2014

One Wish Away by Kelley Lynn

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books and NetGalley.
One Wish Away
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Be careful what you wish for…

Lyra has always been ahead of the curve. Top of her class in school, a budding astronomer, and with a best friend like Darren she barely has time to miss the mother who abandoned her family years ago. She's too busy planning to follow in her father's footsteps, and to become the youngest astronomer at Space Exploration and Discovery.

When a star goes missing Lyra is determined to get to the bottom of it only to discover her braniac dad is the mastermind of a top-secret government experiment. They promise to build a perfect world, one galaxy at a time, but with every tweak of the present, a bit more of the future starts to crumble.

Lyra has to go undercover to reveal the truth and let humanity decide if the consequences are worth more than wishing on a star.


One Wish Away by Kelley Lynn

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


One Wish Away(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books and NetGalley.)

I found this book a bit slow in the beginning, but then it very quickly went downhill.

Lyra was an okay character, but I didn’t really love her. Why she thought it was okay to go snooping around government buildings and eavesdropping on private conversations I don’t know. But obviously she was so important that the rules shouldn’t apply to her, right?

The storyline in this went downhill so quickly once it was revealed why the star was missing, and what Lyra’s father had to do with it. (Spoiler - Highlight to read - a freaking machine that takes a star and turns it into a wish? Really? And why on earth would you test your machine by bringing Kurt Cobain back from the dead? How is that for the good of the world? How is that something small? Bring a mouse back, not a celebrity! And moaning about how many people will be alive if you eradicate cancer? Why not just chose to discover the cure the next day? That wouldn’t involve loads of people coming back from the dead!)

Unfortunately this book was just a bit of a train-wreck for me. It was unbelievable, and I felt embarrassed to be reading it to be honest. The things that happened just made me roll my eyes, and I just couldn’t quite believe people’s reasoning and ideas! I mean really? Really??

To make matters worse, the book then ended on a bit of a cliff-hanger. No way am I reading another book in this series.
4.5 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. I DNF'd this book. I just could not get through it. Even let myself get to 50% because I thought perhaps it would pick up.

    ReplyDelete