Wednesday, 19 November 2014

The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley.
The Walled City
Blurb (from Goodreads):
There are three rules in the Walled City: Run fast. Trust no one. Always carry your knife. Right now, my life depends completely on the first. Run, run, run.

Jin, Mei Yee, and Dai all live in the Walled City, a lawless labyrinth run by crime lords and overrun by street gangs. Teens there run drugs or work in brothels—or, like Jin, hide under the radar. But when Dai offers Jin a chance to find her lost sister, Mei Yee, she begins a breathtaking race against the clock to escape the Walled City itself.


The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Walled City(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Orion Publishing Group and NetGalley.)

This was an okay story, but it wasn’t for me.

The characters in this just didn’t appeal to me, and I found it had to keep up with the unusual names. This is probably just because I don’t come across many people with these names, but they started to blur together a bit for me, and I kept having to go back and remind myself who each person was.
I got that Jin wanted to find her sister Mei Yee, but I just didn’t particularly care.

The storyline in this was based on real-life issues of children being sold into the sex slave industry, and problems with illegal drugs. While these are real-life and important issues, I just couldn’t get into the story much at all, and I ended up feeling a bit bored at points. It’s not that I don’t see the importance of these topics; I just didn’t find the story entertaining.

The ending was okay, and I was glad that the characters got a happy ending, even when it seemed extremely unlikely! There were parts of this story that were alright, but overall I didn’t enjoy this one much, it just didn’t hold my attention well, and I felt like I was forcing myself to keep reading.
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment