Saturday, 8 November 2014

MELT by Selene Castrovilla

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Last Syllable Books and NetGalley.
MELT
Blurb (from Goodreads):
MELT is a brutal love story, set against the backdrop of The Wizard of Oz. Sixteen year old “good girl” Dorothy just blew into the small town of Highland Park – where the social headquarters is Munchkinland (Dunkin’ Donuts.) There, she meets Joey – a “bad boy” who tells no one about the catastrophic domestic violence he witnesses at home. Can these two lovers survive peer pressure, Joey’s reputation, and his alcoholism? And then there’s his family's secret – about to be unleashed.

Told in dual first person, Joey's words are scattered on the page - reflecting his broken state. Dorothy is the voice of reason - until something so shattering happens that she, too, may lose her grip. Can their love endure, or will it melt away?

MELT is based on true events. It is both a chilling tale of abuse, and a timeless romance. It will hit you like a punch in the face, and also seep through the cracks in your soul.


MELT by Selene Castrovilla

My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


MELT(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Last Syllable Books and NetGalley.)

This was an interesting YA contemporary romance novel, with dealt with some difficult topics. I did find it difficult to relate this to ‘The Wizard of Oz’ though.

I liked both Dorothy and Joey, although they were both pretty different. Dorothy came from quite a privileged family it seemed, while Joey had a father who abused both Joey and his mother on a daily basis. I liked the way the two points of view were split into very different styles of writing, as it made it much easier to know whose point of view you were reading, and the way Joey’s story was written in a sort-of fractured, verse-like way made him seem a little edgier. However; other than the name ‘Dorothy’ I didn’t really feel like there was much symmetry between Dorothy and Joey, and the characters in The Wizard of Oz.

The storyline in this was very much a contemporary romance story, with the added complication of the abuse Joey, his siblings, and his mother were dealing with at home. We also had some troubles for Joey with anger management and alcohol dependency. This story was interesting enough, but again, I had problems really finding the similarities between this and The Wizard of Oz. In fact I didn’t see the similarities until I read the Q&A with the author at the end of the book, which while interesting was a little frustrating. I’ve come across this with books previously, and feel like I shouldn’t need to read additional material to understand a book. Is that just me?

Anyway, we did have some romance between Dorothy and Joey, and this was okay. I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either. I did feel that Dorothy and Joey’s relationship was bound to be tested though, seeing as they were from such different backgrounds, and I didn’t for a moment believe Dorothy when she said that her parents would love him because she loved him. Been there, done that, and it really doesn’t work that way.

The ending left me wanting more. The book stopped, but I felt like we didn’t really get all that much closure. The ending was left fairly open, and it’s very difficult to decide what would have happened next, and whether Joey and his family would ever have gotten away from his abusive father. I wish the ending had been a little more concrete, as at the moment I feel like I don’t know what happened to Dorothy and Joey! Did Joey really get away from his abusive father? Did his mother speak against her husband? Did it all get written off as lies because Joey was a young offender and his father a cop? (Quite probable really.) Did Dorothy and Joey continue their relationship? What did Joey intend to do with the rest of his life? So many questions.
Overall; an okay YA contemporary romance, but not a whole lot of ‘Wizard of Oz’ symmetry,
6.25 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment