Wednesday, 5 November 2014

A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird #1) by Claudia Gray

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Every Day meets Cloud Atlas in this heart-racing, space- and time-bending, epic new trilogy from New York Times bestselling author Claudia Gray.

Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.


A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


A Thousand Pieces of You (Firebird, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
18-year-old Marguerite is devastated by her father’s death, and angry enough to follow his murderer to another dimension using a tool called a ‘firebird’.
Can Marguerite bring her father’s killer to justice? Or will she get stranded in another dimension permanently?


This was an okay story, but I did find it a little dull in places.

Marguerite was an okay character, but I did question her at times. It was admirable how she wanted to avenge her father, and she was brave to risk switching dimensions the way she did, but I wasn’t 100% sure about her romantic choices, or the way she seemed to trust people without really knowing they were trustworthy.

The storyline in this was okay, but it did have its dull moments. Thankfully there were some twists in the plot which shocked me a bit, but in between these twists I did lose interest a bit.
There was some romance, but I didn’t really care for it. I sat here ranting to myself about it, and while I can’t share my rant with you because it would drop major spoilers, I wasn’t impressed with the choices Marguerite made romantically at all.
**Warning - there was a sex scene in here, so maybe not suitable for younger teens**

The ending to this was okay, and I liked the way Marguerite was able to find a solution to a puzzling problem. I hope that this series follows in the footsteps of the ‘Evernight’ series, and improves as it goes along!
Overall; okay sci-fi/dimension shifting mystery story,
6.5 out of 10


1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that's a lot of buts. The premise sounds great. I'm getting more interested in alternate/parallel universes lately, though I haven't read a book actually taking place in one (or several). I'm sorry this book wasn't exactly your cup of tea. I know it was on my radar, but I really don't like characters that make risky/questionable romance choices and I can definitely see where this one's going.

    ReplyDelete