Thursday, 23 October 2014

This Is Your Afterlife by Vanessa Barneveld

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books and NetGalley.
This Is Your Afterlife
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When the one boy you crushed on in life can't seem to stay away in death, it's hard to be a normal teen when you're a teen paranormal.

Sixteen-year-old Keira Nolan has finally got what she wanted—the captain of the football team in her bedroom. Problem is he’s not in the flesh. He’s a ghost and she’s the only one who can see him.

Keira's determined to do anything to find Jimmy's killer. Even it if means teaming up with his prickly-yet-dangerously-attractive brother, Dan, also Keira's ex-best-friend. Keira finds that her childish crush is fading, but her feelings for Dan are just starting to heat up, and as the story of Jimmy’s murder unfolds, anyone could be a suspect.

This thrilling debut from Vanessa Barneveld crosses over from our world to the next, and brings a whole delightful new meaning to "teen spirit".


This Is Your Afterlife by Vanessa Barneveld

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


This Is Your Afterlife(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Bloomsbury USA Children's Books and NetGalley.)
Keira is shocked when her old crush turns up in her room, but she’s even more shocked when she realises that he is a ghost.
Can Keira work out how Jimmy died? And can she bring his killer to justice?


This was an okay story, but I lost interest.

Keira was a helpful girl, and wanted to help Jimmy’s family discover what had happened to him. I thought Jimmy was maybe a bit silly expecting her to go to his house and tell his family that she had talked to his ghost though. She would have sounded like a total nut case.

The storyline in this was okay, but it was a little predictable, and pretty much followed the same pattern as every book I have ever read about a girl who can talk to a ghost, who tries to work out how said ghost died. I also guessed quite early on who the killer was.
There was romance, and I was happy with the way that played out.

The ending was fairly happy, and there was no cliff-hanger!
6.5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. I hate when I guess the killer too early on!!! That's the worst. I want to be surprised... like totally shocked. Like Dangerous Girls shocked. I like books where the girl can talk to ghosts, but this one might not be the exact one for me.

    ReplyDelete