Saturday, 25 October 2014

The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1) by Holly Black and Cassandra Clare

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and NetGalley.
The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
From NEW YORK TIMES bestselling authors Holly Black and Cassandra Clare comes a riveting new series that defies what you think you know about the world of magic.

From two bestselling superstars, a dazzling and magical middle-grade collaboration centering on the students of the Magisterium, an academy for those with a propensity toward magic. In this first book, a new student comes to the Magisterium against his will -- is it because he is destined to be a powerful magician, or is the truth more twisted than that? It's a journey that will thrill you, surprise you, and make you wonder about the clear-cut distinction usually made between good and evil.


The Iron Trial by Holly Black and

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


The Iron Trial (Magisterium, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Random House Children’s Publishers UK and NetGalley.)

This was a really good middle-grade wizard story, and I loved how enchanting it was!

I really liked the characters in this story. Sure they were all a little clueless at points, but they were 12, so it felt more like they just hadn’t got there yet rather than them being stupid or anything like that. I felt quite sorry for Call and his friends at times; Call was given such misleading information from his father, as well as having a disability, so it felt like he was starting from a disadvantaged place compared to his peers.

The storyline in this book was pretty good. It did have similarities to Harry Potter, and I noticed a lot of them! But it also had a great magical/fantasy feeling, and made me feel the way I felt when I first read Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce when I was a kid, and I never expected to get that magical feeling back again! I never thought I would be quite as enchanted by this book as I was, especially given how wary I am about middle-grade books.
There wasn’t really any romance in this, but the books didn’t feel lacking because of it.

The ending to this was pretty good, but definitely left me wanting to read the next book! This book will definitely fill the void for those mourning the end of Harry Potter.
8 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. SO GLAD YOU LIKED THE BOOK TOO. The best part of the book was definitely the Magisterium.

    Great review.

    do check my review of the book too here

    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete