Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes #1) by Sara Raasch

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.

Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.

So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.


Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Meira is a headstrong refugee of Winter, who wants nothing more than to fight to take her kingdom back, even if she’s unprepared and incapable.
Can Meira help to get the Kingdom back?


I started reading this book hoping for action, adventure, and a fantasy that I could really sink my teeth into, unfortunately, that wasn’t what I got.

Meira was just immature and reckless in my opinion. She did what she wanted, when she wanted, and paid little attention to those in authority. While you might say that I have admired this in heroines previously, in Meira I did not like it. Her rule-breaking and stubbornness was petty, reckless, and most likely to get her killed! She seemed to have no respect for anyone but the boy she fancied, and boy did she moan.


The moaning, whining, and repetitiveness of ‘poor me, why won’t they let me kill people? Sure I can’t even beat my best friend in a fight, but I should be allowed on the front lines!’, which then changed to ‘But I don’t want to do that!’ when she was given an important job that she was capable of, really got annoying. Grow up already!



The storyline started out alright, but I soon lost interest. Whether this was because of the slow pace, Meira herself, or the constant info dumping, I don’t know, but although I liked the odd bit of action, I got really bored with this book. There were a few twists, but I thought some of them were pretty obvious, which made me like them less unfortunately.

I do sometimes have trouble with fantasy books, and the lack of world building in this was just so irritating! I didn’t think that the Kingdoms? What every they were supposed to be(!) of winter, summer, spring and autumn were explained well at all, even though we got so many info dumps about them. I didn’t really understand why this fighting had really started, and boy was all this confusing! I wanted something more like ‘Throne of Glass’ by Sarah J. Maas, or Defy by Sara Larson, but unfortunately this wasn’t like either of those.

There was a touch of romance, but again – obvious, and I just couldn’t get into it. In fact this then developed into an unnecessary love triangle later on, and I didn’t like that either.
The ending was okay, but more than anything I was just glad that this was over. I was glad there wasn’t a cliff-hanger, because I really don’t want to read another 400+ pages with such an immature main character.
Overall; irritating main character, slow pace, and confusing world building,
4.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment