Friday, 31 October 2014

Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.
Love and Other Unknown Variables
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Charlie Hanson has a clear vision of his future. A senior at Brighton School of Mathematics and Science, he knows he’ll graduate, go to MIT, and inevitably discover solutions to the universe’s greatest unanswered questions. He’s that smart. But Charlie’s future blurs the moment he reaches out to touch the tattoo on a beautiful girl’s neck.

The future has never seemed very kind to Charlotte Finch, so she’s counting on the present. She’s not impressed by the strange boy at the donut shop—until she learns he’s a student at Brighton where her sister has just taken a job as the English teacher. With her encouragement, Charlie orchestrates the most effective prank campaign in Brighton history. But, in doing so, he puts his own future in jeopardy.

By the time he learns she's ill—and that the pranks were a way to distract Ms. Finch from Charlotte’s illness—Charlotte’s gravitational pull is too great to overcome. Soon he must choose between the familiar formulas he’s always relied on or the girl he’s falling for (at far more than 32 feet per second squared).


Love and Other Unknown Variables by Shannon Lee Alexander

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Love and Other Unknown Variables(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)

There wasn’t anything horribly wrong with this book, I just didn’t enjoy it.

The characters in this were alright I suppose, but I just couldn’t warm to them. They irritated me a bit in places, and I just didn’t care what happened to them. I did feel quite sorry for everybody involved when Charlotte’s diagnosis came out, but other than that, I just didn’t really get a feel for them.

The storyline in this started out being about one thing, and by the end felt like it was about something completely different. I found the pace quite slow, and I just couldn’t connect to the story at all. I got bored, and just wanted it to end. Even when Charlotte’s diagnosis came out I couldn’t get into the story.
There was romance, but again, I just did not care.

The ending was quite sad, and I did feel quite sorry for the author when I read the message at the end explaining that she went through something similar. It’s for this reason that I’m giving this book 2.5 stars; but overall – I didn’t enjoy this story.
5 out of 10.


1 comment:

  1. WOW - I was just browsing through & stumbled upon your lovely blog - It looks gorgeous and it has interesting posts that I can relate to! - Def. checking out these new reads! I'm now following you via gfc, Hope you check out my blog? keep in touch love x

    Benish | Feminist Reflections
    A Thousand Pieces of You Hardcover Giveaway

    ReplyDelete