Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Even in Paradise
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When Julia Buchanan enrolls at St. Anne’s at the beginning of junior year, Charlotte Ryder already knows all about the former senator’s daughter. Most people do... or think they do.

Charlotte certainly never expects she’ll be Julia’s friend. But almost immediately, she is drawn into the larger than-life-new girl’s world—a world of midnight rendezvous, dazzling parties, palatial vacation homes, and fizzy champagne cocktails. And then Charlotte meets, and begins falling for, Julia’s handsome older brother, Sebastian.

But behind her self-assured smiles and toasts to the future, Charlotte soon realizes that Julia is still suffering from a tragedy. A tragedy that the Buchanan family has kept hidden … until now.


Even in Paradise by Chelsey Philpot

My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars



Even in Paradise(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Charlotte becomes friends with Julia Buchanan whilst at her all girls boarding school. Charlotte begins to enjoy the high life with Julia and her family, but Julia is messed up, and Charlotte doesn’t really understand why.
What is wrong with Julia? And what really happened to Julia’s sister Gus?


This was an okay story, but it didn’t get interesting until the 90% mark.

Charlotte was an okay character, and she seemed the most normal of the people in this book. I didn’t really love her though, and she irritated me at times. Julia also irritated me. She was messed up, her head was all over the place, and I got sick of her antics and stupid ideas. Unfortunately the reason for this behaviour wasn’t explained until right at the end of the book, so it was difficult to make allowances for what she was going through.

The storyline in this just bored me. I liked the first 10%, but then things went downhill, and the story didn’t pick up again until the 89% mark. It was slow, it was dull, and I really did not care what was going on. The worst thing is that I felt like I should like this book, but the execution just ruined it. I did like the mystery element, but it wasn’t really clear that there was a mystery until the last 10%. I think if I had realised that there was a mystery surrounding Julia’s sister’s death, I would possibly have enjoyed the book more.

There was some romance, but likewise, it didn’t interest me at all. I did wonder if Charlotte was planning on kissing all the Buchanan’s at one point though.

The ending was definitely the best part of the book. I liked that there was suddenly a mystery and things were revealed, although the ending still had flaws. I thought the death of a character was fairly unnecessary, and the ending to the romance was also less than happy.
I felt like this book could have been so much better than it was, but unfortunately, it just did not live up to expectations.
Overall; didn’t get good until the last 10%,
5 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. Man, this book isn't getting very many good reviews at all from what I've seen. I'm sorry you didn't like it. :( I hate when books aren't interesting until so much later than the book. That's happened with me before. Ah, well, thanks for the review. :) I think I may still check it out (literally, from the library :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely finish a book when it drags on that long. You deserve ice cream or (put the name of treat here) for sticking to your guns. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete