Saturday, 13 September 2014

Words and Their Meanings by Kate Bassett

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.
Words and Their Meanings
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Anna O’Mally doesn’t believe in the five stages of grief. Her way of dealing with death equates to daily bouts of coffin yoga and fake-tattooing Patti Smith quotes onto her arms. Once a talented writer, Anna no longer believes words matter, until shocking discoveries– in the form of origami cranes– force her to redefine family and love.

As Anna goes in search of the truth, she discovers that while every story, every human being, has a last line, it might still be possible to find the words for a new beginning.


Words and Their Meanings by Kate Bassett

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Words and Their Meanings(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.)
17-year-old Anna is trying to come to terms with her uncle’s death, but she’s having a hard time of it.
How did Joe die? Was it really Anna’s fault? And what secrets will she uncover whilst trying to unravel the mystery?


This was an okay story about grief, but I preferred the mystery element to the rest of the story.

Anna was an okay character, it was clear that she grieving over her uncle’s death, and clear that her coping mechanisms weren’t the same as everyone else’s. I did feel sorry for her at points, but being inside her head was a little chaotic at times.

The storyline in this was okay, but I preferred the mystery element to everything else. I liked the mystery over what had happened to Joe, and why Anna felt guilty, but I wasn’t so interested in her ‘coffin yoga’, or the other nonsense she seemed to come out with.
There was a bit of romance which was quite nice, but again, I didn’t love it.
The ending to this was okay, and I was glad that the mystery was solved. I didn’t really feel like Anna was out of her grief-induced haze yet though.
Overall; okay story, but slowly paced,
6.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment