Friday, 5 September 2014

The Fall by Bethany Griffin

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Fall
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Madeline Usher is doomed.

She has spent her life fighting fate, and she thought she was succeeding. Until she woke up in a coffin.

Ushers die young. Ushers are cursed. Ushers can never leave their house, a house that haunts and is haunted, a house that almost seems to have a mind of its own. Madeline’s life—revealed through short bursts of memory—has hinged around her desperate plan to escape, to save herself and her brother. Her only chance lies in destroying the house.

In the end, can Madeline keep her own sanity and bring the house down? The Fall is a literary psychological thriller, reimagining Edgar Allan Poe’s classic The Fall of the House of Usher.


The Fall by Bethany Griffin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Fall(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
Madeline and her twin brother Roderick live in a cursed house, and they wonder how long it will be until the house drives them to commit suicide.


This was certainly a haunting tale, but I found it a little hard to follow.

Madeline was a bit of a strange girl, but I did feel sorry for her. The way she was looked down upon while her brother was the golden boy wasn’t very fair, and that she should be stuck in a house and subject to a curse, while her brother was sent away to school also wasn’t very nice.

The storyline in this did have a bit of a creepy feel to it, but I personally wasn’t scared as such. I found the way the story jumped around – Madeline is 18, Madeline is 9, Madeline is 15, Madeline is 9, Madeline is 9, Madeline is 15, a bit confusing, and the fact that the curse wasn’t fully explained made this even more confusing. There were also some very strange statements from Madeline –
“I rest my hand against the wood – too long, because feelings seep into me that are not my own.”
And her father –
“The house is seductive, It reads our deepest desires.”
The pace in this also felt really slow. I wanted to know what was going on, but the story felt like it went on forever.

The ending to this was again hard to follow, but I think I worked out what happened!
Overall; did find this story enjoyable, but I didn’t appreciate the slow pace, jumpiness and confusion.
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment