Thursday, 11 September 2014

Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Rites of Passage
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Sam McKenna’s never turned down a dare. And she's not going to start with the last one her brother gave her before he died.

So Sam joins the first-ever class of girls at the prestigious Denmark Military Academy. She’s expecting push-ups and long runs, rope climbing and mud-crawling. As a military brat, she can handle an obstacle course just as well as the boys. She's even expecting the hostility she gets from some of the cadets who don’t think girls belong there. What she’s not expecting is her fiery attraction to her drill sergeant. But dating is strictly forbidden and Sam won't risk her future, or the dare, on something so petty...no matter how much she wants him.
As Sam struggles to prove herself, she discovers that some of the boys don’t just want her gone—they will stop at nothing to drive her out. When their petty threats turn to brutal hazing, bleeding into every corner of her life, she realizes they are not acting alone. A decades-old secret society is alive and active… and determined to force her out.
At any cost.

Now time's running short. Sam must decide who she can trust...and choosing the wrong person could have deadly consequences.


Rites of Passage by Joy Hensley

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


Rites of Passage(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
17-year-old Sam is going to military school on a dare, but things aren’t going to be easy. Not with the boys at the school determined that girls shouldn’t be allowed.
Can Sam make it through military school? And how tough will it be?


This was an okay story, but it wasn’t for me.

Sam was an okay character, but I found it a bit difficult to connect to her; not because there was anything wrong with her as such – she was brave, determined, didn’t back down from a fight, and was intent on making sure that girls were recognised to be just as good as boys. The problem I had was that if one of my brother’s dared me to go to military school I would have told them to **** off. Fair dues to Sam, she accepted the challenge, and fought hard to accomplish her goal, but rolling in the mud? Doing press-ups? Being constantly jeered and threatened and played pranks on? Not for me thanks.

The storyline in this was again okay, but it just didn’t interest me, and I got bored pretty quickly. I did feel bad for Sam and the way she was treated, I thought some of the pranks were cruel and dangerous, but I personally would not have been able to get out of there fast enough. Well done to both Sam and the author for sticking it out, but unfortunately this story just wasn’t for me.
There was some romance, which was incredibly risky, and I was a little disappointed in Sam for even contemplating it given the situation. After all that hard work at military school would you really want to be kicked out over a kiss?
The ending was okay, but I was just pleased to have finished really.
Overall; okay story, but not really my sort of thing,
4.5 out of 10.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And someone else gave it a four. Goes to show how subjective reviews can be.

    Thanks for the info :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'ya know, I thought I was the only one that didn't love this book?! I didn't even finish it, because I got bored waiting for things to happen. I also did not like the romance...it felt a bit contradictory like you say...WHY would you go through all that and then risk everything over a guy? Ugh!

    Great review, you put my thoughts into words ;)

    ReplyDelete