Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Get Even (Don't Get Mad #1) by Gretchen McNeil

Sponsored Post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Get Even
Blurb (from Goodreads):
The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars in Gretchen McNeil’s witty and suspenseful novel about four disparate girls who join forces to take revenge on high school bullies and create dangerous enemies for themselves in the process. 

Bree, Olivia, Kitty, and Margot have nothing in common—at least that’s what they’d like the students and administrators of their elite private school to think. The girls have different goals, different friends, and different lives, but they share one very big secret: They’re all members of Don’t Get Mad, a secret society that anonymously takes revenge on the school’s bullies, mean girls, and tyrannical teachers.

When their latest target ends up dead with a blood-soaked “DGM” card in his hands, the girls realize that they’re not as anonymous as they thought—and that someone now wants revenge on them. Soon the clues are piling up, the police are closing in . . . and everyone has something to lose.


Get Even by Gretchen McNeil

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Get Even(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

I wasn’t sure about this book from the start, and as I got further into it I really lost interest.

I didn’t really like any of the characters in this book. They all annoyed me at some point, and the way they thought so highly of themselves was a joke. Everything they did was a ‘mission’ and they even had headsets to talk to each other with! It’s like they thought they were in mission impossible, and it just wasn’t entertaining.

The storyline just bored me. I didn’t really like the spy stuff, and other things were unbelievable. I just didn’t buy that the headmaster would give them a period off from school to help solve a murder, and asking someone to look at a photograph and work out who took it? I’m not happy about that either.
Another thing that let this book down was the pace. It dragged, and dragged, and there was so much stuff in there that didn’t move the story along and wasn’t really necessary.
There was a touch of romance, but it didn’t interest me at all.

The ending also drove me nuts. After forcing myself to get to the end so that I could find out who the murderer was – we weren’t told! Instead we got left with a cliff-hanger ending, and not even an inkling of who the killer was! Talk about a Pretty Little Liars ending! So not impressed with that! I really don’t want to have read another 400 pages of this poop to find out!
Overall; not impressed,
4.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment