Monday, 15 September 2014

Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
Falling into Place
Blurb (from Goodreads):
On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road.

Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.


Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

My rating: 2.25 of 5 stars


Falling into Place(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)

This story felt disjointed, and I didn't really start to like it until the 90% mark.

Liz was okay, but I didn't love her. I did feel really sorry for her friend Kennie though, who actually had something to cry about! The way Liz convinced her to do something that she didn't really want to do was a little difficult to read.

The storyline in this was okay, but the whole thing just felt disjointed and jumpy. The writing was a little strange, and the third person writing and kind-of strange narrative made this difficult to really get into.
The book this most reminded me of was If I Stay, which seemed to have a similar 'will she or won't she?' sort of mystery to it.

The ending was okay, although I was glad that the book was over. Again, the person I liked most and felt most sorry for was Liz's friend Kennie.
Overall; didn't get good until the end,
4.5 out of 10

1 comment:

  1. I didn't love this book either :( The 3rd person pov definitely made me feel less connected to Liz. I felt bad for her at times, but I got annoyed that she wanted someone to say the perfect words to her to make her want to live. I don't think it works like that. This book could've been amazing, but it was just okay for me.

    ReplyDelete