Friday, 1 August 2014

Guarding Poppy (Men of Brahm Hill #2) by Christine Wenrick

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Christine Wenrick. So sorry this review isn’t more positive!
Guarding Poppy (Men of Brahm Hill, Book Two)
Blurb (from Goodreads):
One night . . . one violent, supernatural battle . . . and five stories of the men whose lives will be changed by it.

Alec Lambert was born to lead. He’s a ruling Elder of The Brethren, possessing steely confidence, natural smarts, and decisive problem solving abilities . . . and he’s not too bad on the eyes, either. Everything in his life has gone exactly according to plan—until the night of Brahm Hill. Alec loses his best friend at the hands of the uncle he trusted like a father, along with his previously unshakable faith to lead those with whom he’s charged. Despite this, he continues to press ahead, and for his next assignment he’s asked to protect a very beautiful but very clumsy Dhampir who’s being hunted by a powerful warlock. Suddenly, he finds his whole Brethren world is turned upside down . . . and he finds himself harboring a desire for her he can’t explain.

Poppy Honeywell knows she’s far from perfect. Bad things tend to happen when she’s around. She’s more than a little clumsy, with a phobia or two mixed in. Not to mention that her name is certainly unusual. But she doesn’t have time to worry about all that because she’s on the run and not about to back down from the arrogant Elder who’s just been assigned as her protector. The real problem, though . . . she’s irresistibly drawn to this man who faces constant danger and takes charge so naturally. But Poppy also sees that taking charge of others helps Alec mask his own very deep pain.

Will Alec find his way out of the darkness and surrender to his feelings for Poppy before the warlock chasing her catches up to them both?


Guarding Poppy by Christine Wenrick

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Guarding Poppy (Men of Brahm Hill, Book Two)(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Christine Wenrick. So sorry this review isn’t more positive!)
Alec is asked to look after a girl called Poppy, because Joseph believes that her life may be in danger.
Can Alec keep Poppy safe? And can he keep his hands to himself whilst doing it?


This was an okay story, but I just didn’t like Alec.

I have to say that I can remember not liking Alec in the previous books by this author. His behaviour towards Olivia and Caleb was awful, and it put me off him, not to mention how arrogant he was. I hoped that in this book I would grow to like him, but unfortunately it didn’t happen quick. I didn’t start to actually like Alec until three quarters of the way through the book, and even then I didn’t like him that much.
Poppy was a bit of a difficult character for me to connect with as well, she made some really silly decisions, was a bit na├»ve, and rushed head-first into things without thinking. Considering that people were trying to protect her and keep her safe, she really didn’t make it easy for them. I didn’t really start to like her until the end of the book either, and again, I still didn’t like her that much.

The storyline in this was okay, but I still had issues, although these could possibly be attributed to my dislike of the characters. I thought the way Alec suddenly kissed Poppy wasn’t really right. He’d been entrusted with her safety, and was supposed to be guarding her not kissing her! The kiss seemed to come out of nowhere, and it showed how disrespectful Alec was of his elders, when anyone could tell him that Joseph was not going to be happy about it at all.

This book was about the romance, but again, the characters spoiled it for me. While there were some hot sex scenes, I hated the way Alec treated Poppy for most of this book, and I wanted to knee him where it hurts not sleep with him. How Poppy fell in love with him after the way he treated her I don’t know, but I certainly didn’t love him.

There were a couple of interesting twists in the story, and it was nice to catch up with some previous characters. I had warmed a bit to Alec and Poppy by the end of the story, and the ending was good. We were left with a bit of a cliff-hanger, which does make me want to read the next book, and I just hope that the next one will be good again with Alec not the lead character (fingers crossed).
Overall; okay story, but I didn’t like the lead characters,
6.5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment