Sunday, 24 August 2014

Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Mark My Words Book Publicity and NetGalley.
Every Ugly Word
Blurb (from Goodreads):
When seventeen-year-old Ashley Watson walks through the halls of her high school bullies taunt and shove her. She can’t go a day without fighting with her mother. And no matter how hard she tries, she can’t make her best friend, Matt, fall in love with her. But Ashley also has something no one else does: a literal glimpse into the future. When Ashley looks into the mirror, she can see her twenty-three-year-old self.

Her older self has been through it all already—she endured the bullying, survived the heartbreak, and heard every ugly word her classmates threw at her. But her older self is also keeping a dark secret: Something terrible is about to happen to Ashley. Something that will change her life forever. Something even her older self is powerless to stop.


Every Ugly Word by Aimee L. Salter

My rating: 3.25 of 5 stars


Every Ugly Word(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Mark My Words Book Publicity and NetGalley.)
17-year-old Ashley is stuck in an institution talking to a psychiatrist.
What happened to lead Ashley to the institution? Is she really crazy? And where does she go from here?


This was an interesting story, but it was difficult to know what was real and what wasn’t.

Ashley was an interesting character, and I felt so sorry for her and the bullying she had to put up with. I too know what bullying is like and it is not nice, and I totally understood why Ashley found her life so unliveable at times.

The storyline in this was quite interesting, the story alternated between Ashley and a psychiatrist, and the events that Ashley was describing. I found the mystery over what had happened quite compelling, and I wanted to know what had gone on so badly!
The bullying in this was truly awful and reminded me of why I am so glad to be finished with school. The treatment that Ashley received from people who were supposed to be her friends was disgusting, and I hated what they did to her so much. The fact that she had to go through this was just shocking, and to have no-one to turn to was even worse.

There was a touch of romance in this one, but it wasn’t too much. I did have issues about how the romance would develop though, as it seemed to be quite a difficult position that Ashley was forced into.

The ending to this was a little confusing, and I’m still not 100% sure what exactly happened. I was pleased that Ashley finally got some relief though, and seemed to finally be getting something worthwhile out of her life.
Overall; interesting story about bullying,
6.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment