Saturday, 2 August 2014

Breaking Free by S.M. Koz

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author S.M. Koz.
Breaking Free
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Kelsie Sullivan’s life has changed forever. The once outgoing cheerleader has a secret to hide. The car accident that killed her best friend Jenna? She caused it.

With an absent father and unforgiving stepmother, Kelsie has nowhere to turn. She manages her guilt and grief with razor blades. The fleeting release she experiences becomes an obsession and soon she's unable to hide it any longer. Once her cutting is revealed, Kelsie’s parents enroll her in a Wilderness Therapy program designed to rehabilitate troubled teens, but North Carolina is a world away from California.

Kelsie fights against everything the program has to offer until she befriends JC, a boy with a tortured past of his own. He’s also the only one who is able to ease her pain. The two grow close, but quickly discover that nature—both human and otherwise—can easily rip them apart.

Disclaimer: This book contains adult language, sexual themes, and explicit self-harm behavior. Parental discretion is recommended for those under 15 years of age.


Breaking Free by S.M. Koz

My rating: 3.38 of 5 stars


Breaking Free(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author S.M. Koz.)
17-year-old Kelsie is off to a wilderness camp because of problems undisclosed, but she’s sure that wilderness camp won’t work, and intends to get sent home as soon as possible.
Why is Kelsie at wilderness camp? What will it take for her to be a happy camper? And can wilderness camp ever put some demons to rest?


This was an interesting story, and it certainly kept me guessing.

Kelsie was a strong character, but I didn’t really like her to begin with. I found her quite selfish and self-absorbed at the beginning; although I did think she was blaming herself for what had happened when it really wasn’t her fault. I liked JC (the love interest) and his attitude towards life a bit more than I liked Kelsie though!

The storyline in this was very mysterious, and I had to keep reading to find out what had gone on! There seemed to be several mysteries all going on, and several unexpected twists evenly spaced throughout the story. It was definitely the mystery that kept me reading, even though I found the pace a little slow.

There was some romance, and I would have liked if it had been a little more developed. I felt like Kelsie and JC found their way to each other, but didn’t really get all that much time together over the duration of the book, it would have been nice if they had gotten a little more time to be happy together without all these twists and turns messing things up!

The ending to this was pretty good, and I liked that the mysteries were resolved, I think I would have enjoyed this more if I had been able to connect to Kelsie a little bit more, and the pace was maybe a little faster.
Overall; an enjoyable story, with plenty of mysteries and twists,
6.75 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment