Tuesday, 1 July 2014

The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.
The Vanishing Season
Blurb (from Goodreads): 
Girls started vanishing in the fall, and now winter's come to lay a white sheet over the horror. Door County, it seems, is swallowing the young, right into its very dirt. From beneath the house on Water Street, I've watched the danger swell.

The residents know me as the noises in the house at night, the creaking on the stairs. I'm the reflection behind them in the glass, the feeling of fear in the cellar. I'm tied—it seems—to this house, this street, this town.

I'm tied to Maggie and Pauline, though I don't know why. I think it's because death is coming for one of them, or both.

All I know is that the present and the past are piling up, and I am here to dig.I am looking for the things that are buried.

From bestselling author Jodi Lynn Anderson comes a friendship story bound in snow and starlight, a haunting mystery of love, betrayal, redemption, and the moments that we leave behind.


The Vanishing Season by Jodi Lynn Anderson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Vanishing Season(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to HarperCollins and Edelweiss.)
16-year-old Maggie moves with her family to a ramshackle house in a small village, and makes friends with the only other kids in the village – Pauline and Liam.
When there are several murders in the area, Pauline is sent to stay with her auntie, while Maggie and Liam grow closer.
Who is the killer? Who is the ghost in Maggie’s basement? And what will happen when Pauline comes home?


This was an okay story, but there wasn’t enough on the mystery side of things, and the ending was tragic.

Maggie was an okay character, but it seemed obvious to me that she was going to end up getting walked over by her new friends. Two girls and one boy as a friendship is not going to work. I can see heartbreak coming in that scenario a mile off. Especially when two of them have been together since they were four, and the whole darn village thinks that they’re soul-mates.

The storyline in this was okay, but I expected more to be made of the murders. Sure people in the village got a little scared, but other than that, not a lot of attention was paid to the murders, and when the murderer was caught, it was all without fanfare. This really disappointed me as I expected a bit of a murder mystery, which wasn’t what we got at all.
There was some romance, but as I said, it was doomed from the start, and it was pretty obvious who was going to end up being the spare wheel.
The ending of this was pretty darn tragic, I have to say, and after the fact that I hadn’t found the rest of the book all that entertaining, the ending really put that final nail in the coffin. I really didn’t expect the ‘ghost’ who we had heard from during the story to turn out to be the person it was, and again it was tragic. There is definitely no ‘happily-ever-after’ in store for you at the end of this book.
Overall; okay story, not enough mystery, and a tragic ending.
6 out of 10.


2 comments:

  1. I was thinking I really wanted to read this book because I thought it would be about the murders and the ghost. That's kind of disappointing that it's not a big part of the book!! The blurb sounds like it's a little misleading.

    On a side note- I can't believe this is the first time I'm visiting your blog!! I follow you on GR and am always AMAZED at how many books you read! Like every book I click on, your review comes up first thing! I have to say I'm a little bit jealous! I'm now going to follow you on here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little disappointed because I'm always looking for a great mystery to read. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete