Monday, 7 July 2014

The Dare by Hannah Jayne

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.
The Dare
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Two jumped off the pier that night...but only one came back alive

Bryn did everything with her best friend Erica. So when someone dared Erica to jump off the pier one night at Harding Beach, Bryn was right by her side. But when Bryn made it back to the surface, Erica was nowhere to be found. Bryn tries to make a fresh start by burying her memories of that awful night. But when a Twitter post from "EricaNShaw" pops up on her feed and a chilling voice mail appears on her phone, she realizes that someone isn't ready to let go of the past...


The Dare by Hannah Jayne

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The Dare(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to SOURCEBOOKS Fire and NetGalley.)
17-year-old Brynna is starting at a new school in a new town, after her best friend Erica drowned during a dare.
Someone is stalking Brynna though, and she’s scared that it may be Erica.
What is going on? Is Erica really gone? And who is out to get Brynna and why?


This was an okay story, but I wanted answers a lot faster than we got them.

Brynna was an okay character. I could see why she’d be traumatised over her friend’s death, and I thought her behaviour was pretty typical of someone grieving. I did feel a little sorry for her, over what had happened, but I could also see why she would blame herself.

The storyline in this was okay, but I did find it dragged. I was pretty bored by the time I got to the second chapter, and while I wanted to know what happened, I also wanted to know what was going on a lot quicker than we found out. The story just didn’t suck me in, and I lost interest really quickly. Considering that the book was less than 300 pages, I don’t think it should have felt like it dragged quite as much as it did.
There was a touch of romance, but it also didn’t interest me.
The ending was okay, but more than anything I was glad that we had answers, and the book was over, I will say that there was a bit of an open ending though, as though the author had left it that way in case she decided to write a sequel.
Overall; okay story, but dragged for me,
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment