Friday, 18 July 2014

Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

Sponsored post: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.
Perfected
Blurb (from Goodreads):
I was bred to be the perfect pet. I was bred for my beauty and grace, to be a showpiece, an ornament to sit upon the couch, to sing, to dance, to play the piano and paint. I was bred to willingly put my owner's happiness before my own.

Until Penn. The handsome and rebellious son of the congressman who owns me, he's the only person who's seen past my perfect exterior to the girl underneath. Falling for him is forbidden. Falling for him is freeing.

But there's a dark underworld lurking beneath my pampered life. The only thing more dangerous than staying with Penn's family is escaping it, because if I fail, I face a fate far worse than death...

For fans of Kiera Cass's Selection series and Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden series, Perfected is a chilling look at what it means to be human, as well as a stunning celebration of the power of love to set us free, wrapped in a glamorous—and dangerous—bow.


Perfected by Kate Jarvik Birch

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Perfected(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley.)
16-year-old number 8 is a pet; genetically engineered, bred in a kennel, and raised to be subservient to her master.
When she is bought by a councilman, she’s given the name Ella, but is totally na├»ve about the world around her.
What does being a pet really mean? And is it a life that Ella can really live with?


This was an interesting YA dystopian, and I really enjoyed it.

Ella was such a good pet! She totally had the whole subservient thing down, and her training really showed. I felt so sorry for her that she had never been taught to read and write though! Why wouldn’t you teach a pet to read and write? What if their owner wanted them to read to them, or take notes? Ridiculous! I also thought it awful that Ella hadn’t been taught how to swim! Talk about an important life skill!

The storyline in this was pretty good, and reminded me a bit of ‘The Selection’. It was quite difficult to know in places whether being a pet was a bad thing when you were owned by a rich family, and never had to work to support yourself, but then at other times it was obvious that it was a bad thing.
There were some twists and turns in this, but some of them were a bit obvious. Especially the reason that Ella’s owner’s previous pet got ‘sick’ and had to be returned.
There was some romance, and again, it was a little predictable, it was sweet though.

The ending was pretty good, but it was a cliff-hanger. I really want to read the next book in the series now to find out what happens to Ella next!
Overall; an interesting YA dystopian, and I really enjoyed it,
8 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment