Saturday, 5 July 2014

Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles #1) by Suzanne Lazear


Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
Blurb (From Goodreads):
Wish. Love. Desire. Live.

Sixteen-year-old Noli Braddock's hoyden ways land her in an abusive reform school far from home. On mid-summer's eve she wishes to be anyplace but that dreadful school. A mysterious man from the Realm of Faerie rescues her and brings her to the Otherworld, only to reveal that she must be sacrificed, otherwise, the entire Otherworld civilization will perish.


Innocent Darkness by Suzanne Lazear

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
16-year-old Noli isn’t prepared to be sent to a horrible reform school when she crashes her father’s flying car that she has spent years repairing. Finley House is a nightmare though, and whilst wishing that she could be anywhere else, Noli accidentally finds herself in the land of Faerie.
Can Noli make it back to her own world? Or will someone else make use of her first?


This book wasn’t what I was expecting, but I did enjoy it.

Noli was an interesting character, but she did make some silly decisions at times! Flying a car with no license or permit was not the best of ideas, and she didn’t seem to have a clue about faeries! I did feel sorry for her at the reform school, the way they treated her was awful, but her plans to escape weren’t all that great really.

The storyline in this was good, although I have to say that this is first a fantasy/paranormal/faerie story, before a steampunk story. Whether that will change in the next book I’m not sure, but this was way more focused on the faerie aspect than the steampunk aspect, which wasn’t really what I was expecting. I did like this story though, and I did get sucked in.
There was some romance, which was a bit on the edge of new-adult rather than young-adult at times, and we did get a love triangle, although that didn’t ruin the story.
The ending to this was okay, if a little slow, but I am interested to see what happens in book 2!
Overall; interesting story about the fae,
7.5 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment