Thursday, 31 July 2014

Before You by Amber Hart

Sponsored post: : I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.
Before You
Blurb (from Goodreads):
Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Faith Watters spent her junior year traveling the world, studying in exquisite places, before returning to Oviedo High School. From the outside her life is picture-perfect. Captain of the dance team. Popular. Happy. Too bad it’s all a lie.

It will haunt me. It will claim me. It will shatter me. And I don't care.

Eighteen-year-old Diego Alvarez hates his new life in the States, but staying in Cuba is not an option. Covered in tattoos and scars, Diego doesn’t stand a chance of fitting in. Nor does he want to. His only concern is staying hidden from his past—a past, which if it were to surface, would cost him everything. Including his life.

At Oviedo High School, it seems that Faith Watters and Diego Alvarez do not belong together. But fate is as tricky as it is lovely. Freedom with no restraint is what they long for. What they get is something different entirely.

Love—it will ruin you and save you, both.


Before You by Amber Hart

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Before You(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)
18-year-old Faith is a pastor’s daughter, but she’s not quite as perfect as people might assume.
18-year-old Diego is from Cuba, and has also made some mistakes in his life.
Will Faith and Diego be a match made in heaven? Or will they be better off apart?


This was an okay story, but something just didn’t sit right with me.

Faith was an okay character, and it was nice that she wasn’t the stereotypical ‘good girl’ that her image suggested. I felt quite sorry for her with regards to the problems she had had following her mother’s departure from her life, but I didn’t expect her to feel the way about Diego that she did.
I felt that Diego’s character was pretty stereotypical Cuban to be honest. He carried a gun, he got in fights, and he was part of a drug cartel. Underneath it all he was nice, but not all Cuban people are like that (involved in drugs etc. I mean). I just felt like maybe this book didn’t show Cuban people in the best light? I don’t know, something just didn’t sit right with me about Diego.

The storyline in this was quite predictable I felt, and strangely enough Faith’s best friend made some predictions at the start of the book which were pretty accurate. There was some romance, and it was supposed to be the main part of the book, but I just didn’t fall for it. Again, it was predictable, and it just didn’t sit right with me, I tried to like it, but I just didn’t feel it. I also didn’t enjoy the number of trips to the hospital there seemed to be in this book.

There was a twist at the end of this story which I really didn’t like. Talk about putting the person you’re supposed to love through absolute hell, and then expecting forgiveness. Things did work out okay in the end, but again, I just didn’t really enjoy this all that much.
Overall; okay story, but something just didn’t sit right with me,
6 out of 10.


No comments:

Post a Comment